Replacing power steering hose on Mercruiser 4.3

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice
The high pressure power steering hose has failed at the steering rack end, so I need to replace it. I have unbolted the connection from the rack, but am having trouble at the pump end, as it is pretty inaccessible. Two questions:

1) Anyone know what size spanner I need to put on it? It will be a lot easier if I know I am using the right size spanner.

2) Should I just take the power steering pump off to get access, and if so does it just unbolt from the front of the pump?

The engine is a 2001 4.3EFI serial OMO98359.

Thanks for any help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing power steering hose on Mercruiser 4.3

Ayuh,.... There's really no way 'round pullin' the pump, or pump brackets off...

Just bite the bullet, 'n start pullin' off the stuff in yer way....
When ya get enough stuff off,... the wrench size will become apparent...

There Ain't no Easy Button,.... just dig in, 'n get 'er done....

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacing power steering hose on Mercruiser 4.3

Well, I pulled all the stuff that was in the way and finally got to the hose (which had a 5/8" nut on it btw).

Thanks for the advice and if anyone else in the future has to do this and sees this thread, first remove the remote oil filter and gear lube reservoir from the bracket, then remove any bolts you can find until the bracket itself comes off - you don't have to unbolt the steering pump from the bracket. You then have enough room to get at the hose nuts.