1999 200hp optimax full throttle help!!!

captbone

Recruit
Having a issue with full throttle. Runs good up to 4000 rpms then around 4800 to 5000rpms it drops down then revs back up again. Had a complete service done last summer and has been running great up to this point. Now the check engine light comes on at start up but does not alarm. Changed fuel filter and put star tron in at every fill up and like I said it runs great until it reaches above 4000 rpms. Had a tune up/impeller/water pump/lower unit service done last summer and it has only been on the water a few times since.

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 200hp optimax full throttle help!!!

What happens at 4 k rpms? Symptoms? There are many different ways a boat can be considered to be running bad

captbone

Recruit

boat runs great up to 4000rpms then when it reaches WOT it holds for a minute or so then surges back down and then revs back up without touching the throttle. I can run at 4000rpms fine but it seems as soon as you give it throttle it will drop and surge. I ran it above 4000 at different rpms and no matter what rpms I stayed at it will drop and surge. Any rpms below 4000 it runs great. Motor sounds good until it drops (bogging sound) then sounds fine then boggs.

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice

Stator. It has 2 stages with low speed windings and high speed wjndings. I'm having the same issue with my boat currrenly. The low speed coils are breaking down under heat. I can assume that when you first start the boat and run it its fine until the motor starts warming up? The transition point from low to high speed is just over 4000 rpms and when I get passed it, it runs great. I had the exact same issue on my previous bass boat and chases the issue for a long while. Don't bother with the regulator, rectifiers if your voltage is within tolerance as that does nothing for the ignition....its only the charging circuit for your battery.