Experience towing heavy

Fjandy

Seaman
I have a 2011 2500 Suburban 4x4. I'm thinking about buying a 2001-2005 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. These boats list a dry weight of 8000# but I think that is a single engine and mine will more than likely have twin 4.3 or twin 5.0 engines. I'm curious if anyone has real world experience towing that close to the max limit on a truck. I'll probably only tow it a few times each year but it would be a 5 hour tow maybe twice and a 1.5 hour tow 3-4 times. Let me know.

-Andy

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Experience towing heavy

Well I do NOT consider that a allowable boat to tow. Here is a table of max widths to tow http://www.wideworldrv.com/tsl/tsl.php and that model Sea Ray has a 9 1/2 foot beam. Check your local laws. That size boat should almost be a docked boat at a slip.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would say if you were towing it a couple miles twice a year, once to put in and once to take out, go ahead... Towing 5 hours twice and a handful of 1.5 hour tows, yeah, you are looking at way too much boat. (are those times how long it takes you to drive it now? Add 25% or more if you are towing an oversize 10,000# load behind you!)

At a minimum you are talking oversize permits and the cost associated with that. Also check to make sure your insurance covers that without adding some rider policy on it. Lots of people start out with your exact intentions. One of two things happen, they either find a storage spot by the area they want to boat, and then just drive empty to it, or they sell the boat and find something more to their needs. Very, very few people are able to turn a boat that size into a weekend trailerable boat.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will pull it, but you won't be happy for that 5 hours. I've pulled near my max tow limit with a 2500HD with the 8.1 L big block (and allison trans) a few times, and really wished it was a deisel the whole time. Transmission does a lot of hunting and engine is singing. I'm assuming brakes are in tip top shape, otherwise don't even consider it.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2011 2500 Suburban 4x4. I'm thinking about buying a 2001-2005 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. These boats list a dry weight of 8000# but I think that is a single engine and mine will more than likely have twin 4.3 or twin 5.0 engines. I'm curious if anyone has real world experience towing that close to the max limit on a truck. I'll probably only tow it a few times each year but it would be a 5 hour tow maybe twice and a 1.5 hour tow 3-4 times. Let me know.

-Andy
Technically, you'll need an over-wide permit for each state you'll tow it in, but that should not be too hard to get since it's only 1 foot over the limit. You'll want the trailer brakes to be operating at 100%. You'll want to be sure the trailer is truly up to the task, they are often under-sized for boats that are loaded for typical use. You'll probably need a weight distributing hitch (check your tongue weight and Suburban owner's manual) and that can make surge brakes less effective. The solution to that problem may mean going to electric brakes or electric over hydraulic.

Fjandy

Seaman

I knew I'd be oversize but I'm mostly wondering how my truck would like it. Sounds like it might be tough.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I'm in the same boat. ;) A 3/4 ton will pull it but like DuckHunter said, it won't be happy. Realistically, that boat (and mine) is in the 1 ton diesel dually size class. Loaded up you'll be over 10k for sure and probably closer to 12k.

If you're going to do it with the 3/4 ton, make sure the brakes on the trailer and the truck are good, pre-scout the route you're going to take (I'd hate to take out a powerline with my arch), keep it slow, and make sure you leave plenty of following distance.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If the transmission is hunting often while towing, manually downshift it. It's OK to let the engine rev, won't hurt it at all (think about how much you rev your boat engine for hours at a time). I've been towing heavy often with my 99 Durango for years and the engine runs like new at 135,000 miles.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

You might pull it, but can you stop it? Any weak link in your drivetrain may go! That is 1 ton made to tow load with great working HD brakes - get a slip :)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have decades of heavy towing. Your even asking is a reason NOT to do it. You are inexperienced at towing that weight. Your vehicle is a great tow vehicle. It is not up to towing that boat the distances you are talking about. A couple of miles, maybe. As R Socey says, get a slip somewhere. Rent a real truck or hire a service to tow it there. If you do it with your vehicle and experience, you will have problems.

Parrish416

Cadet

Well I do NOT consider that a allowable boat to tow.

tpenfield

Staff member

I tow within 500 lbs. of the vehicle maximum and it is fine. I'm not sure what your maximum weight rating is on the Suburban, but as long as you are within the ratings, I would try it out and see how the vehicle and you like it.

As has been mentioned, you will have to check into the state over-size permits (based on the state(s) you plan to travel) and get the proper paperwork, etc.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

8000 lbs. dry
1200 lbs. trailer (that's on the low side)
1000 lbs. fuel, water, gear, ect.
-----
10,200 lbs. and your over the 9400 lbs. for the stock 3/4 suburban.

Even if you could get the boat weight down and drop all the gear, you will still be over the 9400 lbs. total, imho.
You will have to modify the Suburban and you will give up the ride and gas mileage when your not towing.
A 3/4 GM truck will handle that load, so the parts to upgrade your Suburban are available for a price.
Two differentials and all four springs along with proper shocks may be all you need, but 4:10 gears are far from cheap.

GM also recommends a class V hitch for over 10,000, so you would have to upgrade that also.

From chevy website:
2012 Suburban 3/4-ton
4x4
3.73 9,400

2012 2500HD Series Crew Cab
Standard Box 4x4
3.73 9,400
4.10 13,000 (class V hitch at 10,001 lbs.)

As for the Sundancer, great boat, have family/friends that had the 280 and liked the boat, used the marina, but all three upgraded to a bigger boat within 5 years. mmmm??? :facepalm:

Just have to agree with the others. GET A SLIP.
The price of the trailer alone will be close to the price of a dock. Your'll be suck at one location, but trust us, you will use the boat a lot more.
huts

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A 3/4 GM truck will handle that load, so the parts to upgrade your Suburban are available for a price.
Two differentials and all four springs along with proper shocks may be all you need, but 4:10 gears are far from cheap.

4 lower profile tires would do the exact same thing as 4.10 gears for a lot less money and hassle, and a WD hitch would eliminate the need for heavier springs. That said, I'd bet that 280 on a trailer and with a typical load is going to be over 11,000 pounds and probably too much for the Suburban, regardless.

Thalasso

Commander

I knew I'd be oversize but I'm mostly wondering how my truck would like it. Sounds like it might be tough.[/QUOTE

Your vehichle is capable of towing your boat. The only thing you might need (and i say might ) need is a distribution hitch if there is to much tounge weight. You are going to here all this , you need a deisel dual wheel 1 ton to do this. This is not so.The only thing for sure is it will be over 8.6 wide That Dancer is most likely going to have at least twin 5.0 Merc Bravo's.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

zombie 2.,m.jpg
I had a 26ft Wellcraft fully loaded with 7.4/ bravoIII- gen set -hot water tank-losts of extra stuff-that + the trailer was close to 8,000lbs-
hyd brakes on both axels.
Towed with a 2008 1500Silverado 6.0 with trailer package 8,800lbs towing cap. Did just fine but I was on fairly flat I-35W . Pulled in 3rd gear 70mph@ 3500rpm engine temp normal trans temp 210F in 105F TEXAS HEAT. Truck did great just take it easy in stop & go traffic & turns. ---I only had 8'6" beam and did not need permits. There are others (Smoke on the Water) on this board with a simalar boat to yours that may have better info for you.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1200 lbs. trailer (that's on the low side)

Umm, VERY low side! I have a steel trailer, full roller, with 5000 lb. rated tandem axles and hydraulic brakes that weighs in at 2100 pounds! It is built for a 27' boat, standard (8' 6") width. I can't imagine a trailer designed for a 280 Dancer can weigh less than that, unless it is aluminum, and a bunk style!

My very experienced opinion for the OP...get a 1 ton diesel powered dually, preferably with a manual tranny and 4.56 rears; or get a slip for the boat. Please don't play around with your life or the lives of others on the highway because you are ill equipped.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

4 lower profile tires would do the exact same thing as 4.10 gears for a lot less money and hassle, and a WD hitch would eliminate the need for heavier springs. That said, I'd bet that 280 on a trailer and with a typical load is going to be over 11,000 pounds and probably too much for the Suburban, regardless.

actually lower profile tries are BETTER than gearing... Gearing doesn't have any impact to your braking ability, but lower diameter tires increase your brake power quite a bit.