what size wire???

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer
my boat is 23ft long and i want to move my batt switch from the engine bay to maybe about 12ft away to where all the brakers and switchers are under the sink. so my ?s are

1. what wire size should i use to move the switch a max of 15ft????

2. i hop i am right, the alt goes to the switch and then i hook up batt 1 and 2 to the switch right?

3. if i move the switch max of 15ft away will the alt still charge the 2 batts or will i need a biger/higher amp alt????

MTYPockets

Seaman Apprentice
Re: what size wire???

I would say 0 gauge if not 00 gauge to be on the safe side.
Rick

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

Thats what I was going to use but I was not sure if I was right... You think my alt will still charge the 2 batts???

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

1. You are really increasing the path for the current 30 feet. I would not do it for looks or convenience.
2. Check wiring diagram. I think the output of the alt goes to the starter. It should be ok.

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

well i have the alt wire to my battery isolator not the starter... i have it hook up like this battery4.jpg

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

oops didnt know about the isolator. Look up the output of the alt and do a search on here for wire size, length, and amps.

Bondo

Staff member

i want to move my batt switch from the engine bay to maybe about 12ft away to where all the brakers and switchers are under the sink

Ayuh,.... Why,..??

Battery switches should be Near the Batteries,... Not up in the cabin....

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

sorry about the delay... um i want to move it cuz everytime i need to use the switch i need to open te engine hatch and then jump down about 4 ft then stand on top of motor to get out lol... so i thought if i moved it in to the house i can just use the switch w/out doing a work out...

Bondo

Staff member

sorry about the delay... um i want to move it cuz everytime i need to use the switch i need to open te engine hatch and then jump down about 4 ft then stand on top of motor to get out lol... so i thought if i moved it in to the house i can just use the switch w/out doing a work out...

Ayuh,... Then mount it on or near the motor box...

There's no reason to run all the cabling to the cabin,...
You'll be buildin' a situation that'll bring out the gremlins...
Heavy battery cables should be kept as short as reasonable...