WD-40 and 105 psi

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sprayed WD-40 in the cylinders of an 85 hp that had been sitting for about four years. Will this harm the engine in any way?

I also did a compression test and got steady readings of 103 to 105 psi on all three cylinders. Is the psi ok? I used a tester that I got from HF for $26. Is this a decent tester or would I get more accurate readings from a better tester?

I don't even know if I'm going to use this motor. I have a 125 hp hanging on the boat that I have not even tried anything with yet.

Any opinions on the 85 and 125? The 85 is a 1984 and the 125 is a 1986.

The weather is changing and I need to get one of these running so I can get in the water. I don't think the trolling motor will be enough by itself. :)

foodfisher

Captain
Re: WD-40 and 105 psi

WD40 won't hurt anything. Kind of low on the PSI but it might be the gauge. Close enough together to be workable. Don't know what kind of boat you're "hanging" it on but since the 125 is already there what's up with that? Mine's an '86 125 and i'm really satisfied with it's reliability and power.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

103-105 is low but they're close so it might be your compression tester. If it's a push in tester you need to push it in hard and turn it clockwise so it bites the threads to get a good reading. Did you run the 85hp before you took your compression test? 4 years is a long time..i'd run 25:1 in it for 10 minutes at idle and retake the test. Maybe the cylinders are dry/slightly rusty or the rings are stuck.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The compression results are low,Probably due to the guage.Get a different one.
Ground out the plugs so the packs don't blow.
Some just don't read as good as others.As long as all 3 cyl.are the same.
Getting a motor running after it's sat for a while:
New fuel pump diaphram,new hoses and remove any inline connectors.
Clean carbs. Fresh gas?
Install a fuel/water sep filter.
Then a filter between the carb and pump.Same for the 125.
I'd try that one first as the change is a pain.J

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know the answer for this, but does the 85 have controls? and if not will the controls for the 125 work on the 85?

I have used the HF compression tool for many years on all my engines. It seems to be the only thing I have from HF that has lasted more than a year.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Wd 40 was the standard method to start my old two stroke snowmobiles back in the 80's...every morning. Better than starting fluid because it has some lubrication. I have a 1984 85hp Force on one of my boats as well and so far since we've owned it since it was new, it hasn't required anything accept spark plugs and annual winterization. The only issue with it is the amont of gas it consumes if you're pulling skiers.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am a complete rookie when it comes to boat motors. I have not run the 85 or 125. I just got the 85 from a parts boat and trailer I picked up for $450. I figured I would keep what I wanted and sell the rest.

The 85 has the controls with it. I just purchased a new water pump (complete) and fuel pump kit. They will fit both of the motors. I just need to make up my mind which way I'm going. It probably makes more sense to try working the 125 since it's already hanging on my rebuilt boat. I also picked up a 125 parts motor.

The compression guage is brand new. It is the screw in type. I had higher readings on two cylinders until I put the WD-40 in the cylinders. That's what prompted my question. I had 98/115/120. I figured it might need some lube from sitting so long. I did not figure that the two high cylinders would drop. That is why I questioned the tester.

Thank you all for the help:)

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not that far yet. I tried to turn it over before it got to cold out and nothing. I don't know if the battery was weak or if I was doing something wrong. The weather is supposed to be nice this week so i'm going to check out the 125. I will post my results.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It,s been awhile so i'll update.

Sold the 85hp motor.
Got the 125 running. Installed new water pump, changed lower unit oil, new spark plugs, new fuel pump diaphram, cleaned and adjusted carbs.

The problem I'm now having is when I try to restart after running it floods. Fuel drips from the carbs. I am sure it's because I don't know how to use the controls properly. I don't even know how to increase engine speed in neutral.

foodfisher

Captain

Dripping fuel could be float adjustment, float saturated, needle not seating properly. On my '86 the throttle handle is pulled out/away from the mount then pushed forward for fast idle.

Jiggz

Captain

Is the engine upright or lifted up? If it is lifted up yes, fuel will drip from the carbs if stopped. Place it in vertical and it the fuel still drips, it could be the carb floats.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question?

When I start the motor I have to push the key in and then turn it. This activates the elctronic choke and the engine fires. When the egine is already warm the choke should not be needed. By activating the choke on a warm engine I am thinking this is the cause of flooding the carbs?

How do I start the engine without using the choke? The engine starts and runs fine first start.After it's warm is when the problems start.

When the rain stops I will get some pictures of my controls and you guys can school me on the proper use.

Thank you guys for all your help.

Jiggz

Captain

I have a question?

When I start the motor I have to push the key in and then turn it. This activates the elctronic choke and the engine fires. When the egine is already warm the choke should not be needed. By activating the choke on a warm engine I am thinking this is the cause of flooding the carbs?

How do I start the engine without using the choke? The engine starts and runs fine first start.After it's warm is when the problems start.

When the rain stops I will get some pictures of my controls and you guys can school me on the proper use.

Thank you guys for all your help.

To start the engine without engaging the choke, just turn the switch key without pushing down. And yes, if the engine just ran or still warm meaning the bowls are still full and you try starting it with a choke engaged, you will flood the carbs.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jiggz, The engine is running fine in the tote. I had tried turning the key before and got nothing. The problem was with the neutral switch on the engine. If I bump the handle it makes contact and will start.

I also added a tell tail.

I still can't figure out hot to increase trottle speed in neutral?

I am wondering if the oil residue in the tote is excessive for about ten minutes of start and stop run time?009 (640x480).jpg011 (640x480).jpg012 (640x480).jpg013 (640x480).jpg014 (640x480).jpg

foodfisher

Captain

Push in on the button center of pivot. That should disengage gear shifting to allow for fast idle. Residue in tub is what two stroke exhaust looks like when it is captured in a tub. Not to worry. Nice, clean engine by the way.

Jiggz

Captain

Thanks Jiggz, The engine is running fine in the tote. I had tried turning the key before and got nothing. The problem was with the neutral switch on the engine. If I bump the handle it makes contact and will start.

I also added a tell tail.

I still can't figure out hot to increase trottle speed in neutral?

I am wondering if the oil residue in the tote is excessive for about ten minutes of start and stop run time?View attachment 152244View attachment 152245View attachment 152246View attachment 152247View attachment 152248

And you can adjust the neutral switch with only two screws. I had the same problem before but after awhile I was wondering why I keep on doing the shift fwd and shift rev when I can just go in and adjust the switch position. Sometimes, the path of least resistance is just too tempting even though in the end you actually do more work hence if you just do the right thing. Lol.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you foodfisher and Jiggz.

Your responses were right on. This rookie really appreciates the help.

foodfisher

Captain

Feels good to do good. The pleasure is mine. edit: What was the fuel drip solution?