1956 30hp Evenrude

uncle fink

Recruit
All hands on deck I have this old beauity taking up space and was wondering what it was worth, any Ideas? It ran when I took it home but just sits now have controll box and cables as well as steering wheel and fuel tank.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 30hp Evenrude

Condition is everything. If reasonably good and complete, $100 if you can't demonstrate that it runs.

64osby

Admiral

If it was running and all is good than around here it would go for about $300-$400.

uncle fink

Recruit

If it was running and all is good than around here it would go for about $300-$400.

Thanks alot men I have someone looking at it but had no idea of a value, sure thankfull for the input, as a cabinetmaker I bid alot of work and only get 10% of what I bid so I'm not supprised to see the value spread of $100 then $300-$400. God knows in this economy everything is up and down:)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Frank gave a realistic value based on what you described. It will need about $150 in parts or more and hours of labour and THEN it may be worth the $300 to $400. But that is after it is tuned, which it sounds like it is not.

I just sold a '56 30hp Johnson Electric Start yesterday FULLY tuned, everything including full ignition (coils, points, condensors, plug wire, plugs), carb cleaned/rebuilt, water pump rebuilt, gearcase rebuilt, new wiring harness, etc etc etc and I sold it for $350.

Chris

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The pressure tank is valuable if working and clean. But if it has rotten gas gum and rust in it, it is worth $2. If the
lower unit has had water sitting in it for ten years, that part is worth little. Things like that are why I said condition is everything.

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen several on Craigslist here in SW Michigan for 200 or so saying "it ran when I stored it 5 years ago". They don't seem to be selling at that price because they keep reposting them to keep them at the top of the list. I would agree that 3-4 hundred is only if it's been gone over with new ignition, carb rebuild, good lower unit and new impeller. Myself, I wouldn't pay more than $100 - 150 and then only if it was complete, had good compression and was fairly clean cosmetically. The control box, steering and gas tank do increase the value a bit but it really does come down to condition and finding that one guy with money in his pocket that needs a 30hp with steering and controls and that's capable of working on it himself. Something else to think about is the fact that there were more outboards sold in 1956 and 57 than at any other time in history. These things may be old but the are not rare. People don't throw them out like most things. They just stick them in a corner of the basement or garage and eventually decide to put them on Craiglist when the the wife makes them clean out the garage.