OMC Cobra zinc anode in exhaust hub

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Short question:

Has anyone changed the zinc anode in the exhaust hub on a Cobra outdrive ?

How difficult was it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra zinc anode in exhaust hub

You have to pull the prop shaft brg carrier to get at it. If it's not over half gone now just leave it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have any year or model numbers for your cobra drive? You should NOT have to pull the carrier out to replace any anode.

MRS

Commander

Short question:

Has anyone changed the zinc anode in the exhaust hub on a Cobra outdrive ?

How difficult was it?

?????? Not hard at all because there is none there.

Last edited:

Don S

?????? Not hard at all because there is none there.

Don't be to sure about that until he gives us a model and/or serial number we have no idea what he has, and there are some "Cobra" drives that do have anodes in them.

MRS

Commander

Not trying to be smart but witch units would that be just curious would not be the first or last time I was wrong.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine has an anode in the outdrive prop shaft and it is a cobra sx. If I remember right, it said not to use zinc in it or the paint would peal from the drive in saltwater, they recommended another type. . . I could check if it would be helpfull.

Don S

MRS

Commander

Yike's Thanks I learnd something today mine as one also. I love mine still running good but way different than my old merc. still learning stuff at 55yr.s old...

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have any year or model numbers for your cobra drive? You should NOT have to pull the carrier out to replace any anode.

It's a friends' boat that is stored for the winter, I can't get any numbers right now. But the boat(Bayliner), engines and outdrives(dog-clutch) are from 1988, the engines are 5.0 GMs (4barrel Rochester).

Some time ago, I have looked into the exhaust and saw the anodes(what remains of them), and it looks like the picture in your second post, part No 55.

Looks like a pain to replace them. The boat will be in the water for quite a long time this year (5-6 months). My friend will have the best feeling, if they are replaced.

I have a Volvo SX drive on my own boat, and the anode in the exhaust hub is an easy job to replace, since the bolts are pointing towards the propeller. On the Cobra drive, the bolts are perpendicular to the propeller shaft.

Last edited:

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked it up about the chemicals because it was bothering me and it says to use Magnesium if you are only fresh water bound. It works better than zinc in freshwater. However, zinc is better for saltwater since magnesium works overtime with the salt and will take the paint from your lower unit.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine has one also. I believe the bearing carrier would have to be removed to replace it. There is no way to get to the bolts.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked it up about the chemicals because it was bothering me and it says to use Magnesium if you are only fresh water bound. It works better than zinc in freshwater. However, zinc is better for saltwater since magnesium works overtime with the salt and will take the paint from your lower unit.

Ok, the boat is in salt water, so my friend will use Zinc anodes