repair or replace prop with minor damage?

jb203495

Cadet
IMG00072-20111021-1228.jpg

Last fall I purchased a new black max prop for my boat. Second time out with it, i ran over something and caused minor damage. I am attaching a picture of the damage. The outboard (2004 merc. xr6 150) still ran great with the damage prop and I felt no vibration. Should I file the edges smooth and continue to use or buy another prop? i am new at boat ownership so any help would be great. Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: repair or replace prop with minor damage?

You can keep running it like it is, have it repaired at a prop repair shop, or buy a new prop and keep this one for a spare. If it's running fine without vibration, maybe just leave it alone and go boating! Good Luck!;)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You may not feel any vibrations but I bet your lower unit does and this is hard on seals. Take it to a prop shop and they can make it like new.

robert graham

Admiral

You may not feel any vibrations but I bet your lower unit does and this is hard on seals. Take it to a prop shop and they can make it like new.
Probably good advice!...

TilliamWe

Banned

Yeah, if just that one blade is damaged, there's enough material missing that you should have that repaired. No need to replace it. that prop is "easily" repairable. Just check the repair price first. Around here, guys charge way more to repair them than they should. That shouldn't be more than a $50 repair, if the shop's being fair. Cause he;ll have that thing fixed in 20 minutes.

jb203495

Cadet

I may get another prop and use this one as a spare. My current prop is 15"/17degrees. I can get a pretty good deal on a stainless steel prop at Cabellas and using a gift card, won't end up paying a lot for it. They have a Cabellas brand that is 14.25"/17 pitch. Will this be an acceptable replacement size (only 3/4" difference)? Also has any one had experience with cabellas brand prop?

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, if just that one blade is damaged, there's enough material missing that you should have that repaired. No need to replace it. that prop is "easily" repairable. Just check the repair price first. Around here, guys charge way more to repair them than they should. That shouldn't be more than a $50 repair, if the shop's being fair. Cause he;ll have that thing fixed in 20 minutes.

I agree.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

You really should have a spare anyhow, but I would get it repaired before putting it in service as a spare anyhow. I know a repair here in MN like that only runs me $34 and if you do your homework shopping for a new one you can have 2 perfect props for under $100

QC

Supreme Mariner

I may get another prop and use this one as a spare.
Good plan.

My current prop is 15"/17degrees
Just for information, pitch is also in inches, not degrees. Common mistake :)

I can get a pretty good deal on a stainless steel prop at Cabellas and using a gift card, won't end up paying a lot for it. They have a Cabellas brand that is 14.25"/17 pitch. Will this be an acceptable replacement size (only 3/4" difference)? Also has any one had experience with cabellas brand prop?
Could be fine, but there is really no way to know until you run it. I wouldn't stress about diameter, but often you should go down in pitch with a Stainless. Do a LOT more reading here before you commit to that prop ;)

What's your WOT RPM now?