1983 evinrude 15 - throttle stuck

kidbolt

Cadet
I am working with a friend on his 83 evinrude 15hp that's been sitting for a while. He's just acquired it and we are trying to get it back in shape. Our first obstacle ... the twist grip throttle turns on the steering handle (while lifted up), but when lowered, the gear that it meshes up to does not turn, and is missing a couple of teeth. Penetrating oil has not freed it up yet. Could use a diagram of the area and some disassembly advice. Thanks!

kidbolt

Cadet
Re: 1983 evinrude 15 - throttle stuck

I am working with a friend on his 83 evinrude 15hp that's been sitting for a while. He's just acquired it and we are trying to get it back in shape. Our first obstacle ... the twist grip shaft and gear turns on the steering handle (while lifted up), but when lowered, the gear that it meshes up to (65) does not turn, and is missing a couple of teeth. The timing plate linkage seems to move freely when pushed by hand, but isn't helping to free the gear (65). Penetrating oil has not freed it (65) up yet. I've reviewed the diagram (in "troubleshooting") Could use some dis-assembly advice. Thanks!

kidbolt

Cadet

Here is a link to a blown up diagram of your tiller handle. I don't know what model you have so I guessed. Just put your year and model number in to get the exact one although they all should be the same in 83'

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...t;c"+Models,15+Rope+"r"+Models

I think it's e15rcta - trying to remember - it's over at my friend's house.

I did not see the link to the diagram in your post ...

kidbolt

Cadet

now i see it - thanks! very helpful. we'll be working on this tomorrow. Maybe remove the washer under the rubber cover to get the gear and bushing out - hate to force it too hard - don't want to break stuff.

kidbolt

Cadet

I mean - remove the snap ring behind the gear and bushing. Trying to get the gear and bushing freed up without having to remove the timing plate linkage. That's where I could use some suggestions on how to get that gear and bushing out.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well maybe someone that has a gear style tiller will come along and help you? I have an 87' 9.9/15hp and a 88' 30hp with the cable style tiller so I have never taken the gear style apart.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Over time the stator plate under the flywheel will gum up and become extremely hard to turn. There is a big plastic washer with a slit in it that the plate rides on that has to be dry and free of grease , as well the linkage all needs to be greased. Check the condition of that big washer. Alternately- I have cleaned and regreased that washer with great success if it won't move freely after being cleaned.

kidbolt

Cadet

Thanks to good advice here and diagrams and a little dogged persistence, we were able to get that gear and bushing out of the housing. Took some careful hammering, and liberal application of penetrating oil, but it finally came out. New parts (gear and bushing) ordered and one step closer to firing up this baby and getting her back in running condition.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to hear kidbolt :) and thanks for posting your victory. Now when you get the parts you can move on to the next problem (if there is one)