Quick question on gimbal bearing pull

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone pulled a gimbal bearing using a threaded rod type puller ( like 45AUTO's ), WITH the bellhousing still on? In all the pics, they put the plate across the gimbal ring. I have a piece of 4"X12" 3/8 steel plate that I'd like to place between the drive studs ( running across the whole drive mounting surface top to bottom ) after I remove the shift cable.

Main question is, can the hinge pins take the force? I would assume so, but who knows how stuck the bearing might be. It's not rusty or crappy looking, but that can be deceiving.

It's not that I am trying to take short cuts, but I have a trim sender screw that wont budge, and rather than snap the thing off to get the bell housing off, this would be a doable work around.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Quick question on gimbal bearing pull

I have done it to my Stingray and my Glastron. The only thing is that the hinge pins and the centerline of the bearing are different and it will want to move the bellhousing down as you put tension on the puller. I just hold it up while threading the puller out. Goodluck!

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

IMG_1413.jpg

might want to double the steel plate.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... can the hinge pins take the force? ....

Look at the structure of the bell housing and you'll see that the hinge pins take the entire force of the propeller (albeit in the reverse direction). I seriously doubt you could muster anyway near the same force that a 350 at 5000 rpm can deliver...

As for removing the gimbal with the bell housing still in place.... I have always done it that way... It's the standard recommended procedure, but I prefer a slide hammer to a screw puller.

Chris.......

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ended up popping right out with two whacks of a 5 pound slide. I guess my ritual greasing paid off, because I didn't have to go to this here plan "b"...

On the subject of greasing, can I pump the new bearing with grease right away or is it best to run it awhile first?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...On the subject of greasing, can I pump the new bearing with grease right away or is it best to run it awhile first?

Grease immediately...