1976 Evinrude 9.9 help!

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am a rookie at this. Inherited an old Starcraft 14? tinny, a trailer, and a 1976 Evinrude 9.9. I have rebuilt the trailer, am in the process of ?fixing up? the boat. While I am waiting for warmer weather here in NJ, I started looking at the motor. These items have sat for about 12 years. Anyway I took compression reading of both cylinders (cold) top was 30, and bottom was 25 after I sprayed some lubricant into the spark plug openings.
I have been to the ?LeeRoy?s ramblings? web site (as most members refer me to) when there are questions about 9.9 Evinrudes. He states that the compression should not be under 60, but does not state if engine is cold. This motor will not start (it has been over 12 years!) and I have noticed that I?m getting spark from only the bottom cylinder. But before I buy coils, a carb rebuild. water pump etc. I need some input from the iboats guys as what they would do in my situation?. Look for another used Evinrude 9.9 (use this one for parts), buy something newer used, or look for a new motor? As a new one goes, I will be using this set-up in salt water in a bay in New Jersey for crabbing and fishing. Money is tight, and if I did do new I would probably lean toward a Tohatsu 9.8 (oh, the horror!) for the most bang for the buck. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have time, money is another story .

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1976 Evinrude 9.9 help!

those compression numbers are BAD, set the motor with the plug holes up, and spray it with penetrating oil , let it set for a few days, best case is stuck rings. other than that you have a parts motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Those powerheads are easy to rebuild, pull it apart, measure spec. If the block is useable hone and rering it. As for spark probably dirty points or possibly a bad condensor. And yes, i'm alive.

kbait

Commander

Nice to hear from ya bk!

Hopefully you have a bad head gasket. Pull the head and you'll know where you stand. Good luck!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Damn kbait, that things bigger then the last fish I saw you with lol.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys..I took the head off...I am a rookie...what should I be looking for? The head gasket did look OK, I think!? Attached are some pix. As I pulled the starter cord the rods moved as shown in the pix. Also the motor was a 1974 not a 1976. Any comments are much appreciated....

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's showing a lot of corrosion, if it were me I'd be tempted to clean up that block and head and try a head gasket and retest, too hard to tell. Usually when we the gaskets go they blow between the cylinders, I could tell by the compression numbers that wasn't the case, it would be zero. Or you just have a tired motor that needs a possible hone and re ring. Try the gasket first, it can be reused anyway if a rebuild were in order.

Put the head on a piece of glass to make sure it's not warped.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update....I cleaned the head and block, installed new gasket, checked compression...105 top, 105 bottom. I guess I will check the points and condenser next to try to get spark. Thanks guys....

dazk14

Ensign

Congrats! When you get it running, a de-carb would be good for it. Also, re-torque the head.

The coils can be tested by swapping the plastic clip connections/wires and see if the problem moves. Then you'll know whether it's coil or magneto.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats! When you get it running, a de-carb would be good for it. Also, re-torque the head.

The coils can be tested by swapping the plastic clip connections/wires and see if the problem moves. Then you'll know whether it's coil or magneto.
I swapped the clip connections and the spark moves...will order another coil and update later. Thank you.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From those photos you have a lot of salt corrosion in the water jacket. I would also look at the thermostat in the bottom of the head as it will probably also be corroded & usually worse. With the stat corroded/seized, you will overheat the motor even IF the waterpump is functioning.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From those photos you have a lot of salt corrosion in the water jacket. I would also look at the thermostat in the bottom of the head as it will probably also be corroded & usually worse. With the stat corroded/seized, you will overheat the motor even IF the waterpump is functioning.
Thank you for that info..will replace gasket and thermostat also with the coil after I clean out the water jacket. I have learned a lot from your "Ramblings" site...will update later.