Keel Guard's

followme21

Seaman
I am looking for something to protect my paint on my boat from the area on top of the bow eye to the front point of the boat. Its painted red and when I launch that area above the bow eye drags on my bow roller and is begining to scuff the paint. It is paint and not gel coat. Has anyone used these "Keel Guards" in that area.. It looks like techinacly they are designed for use lower on the boat but I dont see why it wouldnt work. Thoughts?

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Keel Guard's

And run it all the way to the stern. That way you are also covered if you beach rhe boat.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

The keel guard may pull the paint off the hull. That would be my only concern. The scuff busters are great right around the bow eye ( I have one on my boat) but I know what you are talking about with the scuffing. You may want to see if you can adjust the stop so it doesn't contact the boat once you launch, if possible. Also, what type of bow stop do you have? I really like the big bell style stops with the roller section in the center. That will help minimize scuffing as well.

followme21

Seaman

I have seen, and thought about those stainless steel things around the bow eye, but i really need something that will run the length between that and the point of the boat. My bow stop rest below the painted surface on the gel coat. I do have a big bow stop with the roller in the center, but it still drags a little, as far as it pulling the paint off, i would assume it would, but dont really plan on removing it, so not to worried about that. If I do, and it does pull the paint off, pry time for a new paint job ......

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

seems to me, that since your concern is purely cosmetic, you want to improve appearance. A keel guard ABOVE the bow eye would look worse.
Are you having issues with the bow stop (at the winch) or the bow roller (last roller on the trailer)?
Why do you care if a keel guard might peel off the paint, when the roller is already doing that for you? once you put it on you are leaving it on, right?
the SS plates are the best answer.
second choice: can you put something across it, such as a towel on bungies, while launching/retrieving? If it's rubbing while trailering, too, leave the towel wedged in there?
third choice: touch up paint. If it's really that bad, or not so bad but just bothering you, how hard can that be?
you've learned the down side of a painted boat.

PS keel guards don't go all the way to the stern to protect when beaching. If you need it back there, you are high and dry.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3M makes several varieties of clear plastic guard. You'll see them on the front of car hoods and on many factory installs at the bottom of doors and rocker panels. Visible but not distracting. I would go that way ahead of putting a keel guard above the bow eye, and I have a keel guard on my boat that starts just below the bow eye. Look for the clear film.

Philster

Captain

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=101400&did=1

141593_TAY_35016_PPM