No Spark / Ground / Key Switch Shock / 1976 Johnson 85hp

billgrob

Cadet
Last summer I had an issue with my engine not turning off and the Key switch shocking the crap out of you while attempting to turn off the engine. We fixed or put a band-aid on the problem by running a additional ground wire from the switch to the battery. Note this fix worked all summer.

Now today I rebuilt a leaking carb and while that problem is fixed my boat will not start. I have changed nothing with any of the wiring but I no longer have spark to any of the cylinders.

So I figure I may need to back up and fix my original key switch problem. Does anyone have any thoughts as to where to start trouble shooting this? I have tried a different key switch so that is ruled out. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Spark / Ground / Key Switch Shock / 1976 Johnson 85hp

I realize you've changed the ignition switch but try the following anyway.

If there was no spark, on engines from 1973 up (Yours), disconnect the RED main electrical plug at the engine. Remove the s/plugs. crank the engine via the starter solenoid... rig a small jumper wire from the battery terminal of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" terminal nut of the solenoid that energizes the solenoid (not the ground nut) and observe spark. If spark is now okay, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch BUT that black/yellow wire could also be shorted to ground at some point within the wiring harness.

If still no spark, remove the black/yellow wire directly from the powerpack, then retest for spark. If still no spark, assuming the engine is cranking at a normal fast rpm, the usual cause is a failed powerpack... but not always.

Let us know what you find.

billgrob

Cadet

I was able to jump the starter. However, I was only able to do it by putting the negative contact on the block and the positive on the starter. With the engine cranking and the red plug unplugged I still had no spark. I also tried starting with the black/yellow wire disconnected and still no spark. Should I purchase a power pack or is there an easy way I can test that as well?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

My switch and steering wheel starting shocking the fire out me and it turned out to be a faulty lanyard safety cut-off switch which was going to ground i assume under the console. New switch fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

billgrob

Cadet

Boat finally runs again. I replace pretty much everything electrical. Haven't got shocked as of yet. Not sure what was causing it. I guess I just changed enough parts to eliminate the problem. Thanks for the help.