1999 Mercruiser 5.7 with 2bbl MerCarb issues

Hwhig

Cadet
My spring has gotten off to a bumpy start. Let me tell you the tale...

I have a 1999 Glastron GS225 with a Mercruiser 5.7L Thunderbolt V Alpha One Gen 2 stern drive. I started having issues that seemed carburetor related last year, so I replaced the carburetor. It had a 2bbl MerCarb on it (one idle mix adjustment screw) and I replaced it with a Rochester 2GC 2bbl. It ran OK, but rich (black smoke) and I could never get it quite right. So this spring I decided to rebuild the MerCarb (which I kept in my garage). It is a fairly simple carburetor, so I thought I could handle the job. I bought the rebuild kit, disassembled the MerCarb and soaked it in parts bath, then hosed it off with carburetor cleaner and let it dry. I reassembled it with the new power valve, needle/seat, accelerator pump, check ball, etc., set the float levels according to a Mercruiser Service Bulletin, which said to set the float level to 10 mm and the drop to 27 mm. I set the idle mix screw to 1 1/4 turns out, and adjusted the electric choke as specified in the bulletin.

The engine runs, but it ain't right. I can't get a smooth idle. It wants to die when the choke opens, even when the engine is nice and warm. It surges. It won't throttle up smoothly- it goes from a 6 or 7 hundred RPM idle to a roaring 2000 RPM instantly, no matter how gently the throttle is opened. I have to believe I missed something in the rebuild, but I can't figure out what. I replaced the spark plugs since the other carb was running rich, and while I had the plugs out I ran a compression test- all 8 cylinders were strong, between 160 and 180 psi on 4 strokes. Oil pressure is good- 40 psi even at a low stumbling idle. The spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor were all replaced last fall. I'm grasping for ideas. Anybody have any thoughts? I appreciate any insight any of you can offer.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1999 Mercruiser 5.7 with 2bbl MerCarb issues

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

Even in a fully equiped shop, a Carb Rebuild is a 50/ 50 shot, at Best....
'n compressed air is Mandatory...

You could try it again, or I'd probably throw on a new manifold, 'n a 4bbl. carb, myself...
The Edlebrock performer is reasonably cheap, 'n is Exactly the same as the Merc/ Weber carb that Merc is still using...

Hwhig

Cadet

OK- so I go whole-hog and slap an Edelbrock Performer on there. What carburetor would you recommend, and what kind of linkage headaches can I expect? I'm assuming we're talking a new carb, since a rebuilt carb is a 50/50 shot...

Hwhig

Cadet

OK- so I did a quick search, and I found the Edelbrock 1409 Performer 600 CFM marine carburetor with electric choke for $360. It is a square bore, and I don't see a lot of square bore manifolds. Any suggestions? Would you use a spread bore manifold and an adapter plate? What kind of linkage headaches are likely?

Bondo

Staff member

OK- so I did a quick search, and I found the Edelbrock 1409 Performer 600 CFM marine carburetor with electric choke for $360. It is a square bore, and I don't see a lot of square bore manifolds. Any suggestions? Would you use a spread bore manifold and an adapter plate? What kind of linkage headaches are likely?

Ayuh,... Yer boat's a 99 you say, that should be Vortec heads,..??...
To tell, count the bolts holdin' the Intake, to the Heads....
Vortec uses 4 on each side, total 8....

You don't say if yer boatin' in freshwater, or brine,..??
If in brine, I hear Michigan Motors has the GM cast iron manifolds for it....
In freshwater,...
The aluminum Edlebrock works quite Nicely in that combination...
Buy a manifold to fit the heads, 'n the Carb....
Stay away from Adapters...

For the throttle linkage, 'n brackets,...
Hunt down the hardware used by Merc for their AFB/ Merc/ Weber carb they use in that same combo...
Ya oughta be able to find it used on ebay or somewhere....

Hwhig

Cadet

I run the thing in freshwater only. Another interesting tidbit- Edelbrock square-bore carburetors (such as the 1409 marine carburetor which I am giving serious consideration to) will fit on a spread-bore Edelbrock manifold with no adapter plate! This tends to explain why there don't seem to be a lot of manifolds that are specifically square-bore. This conversion would end up cosing about $650, since I would also need a new flame arrestor. I would think this would be worth an extra 20 to 30 horses out of the motor- maybe more. I'm thinking about it...

Bondo

Staff member

I'm thinking about it...

Ayuh,... I thought ya might,.. swhy I mentioned it.... ;)

Ya might wanta verify which hold down bolts the Mercruiser brackets fit, before ya decide which manifold pattern to get...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you ever checked the gas? Make sure theres no water in it.

Hwhig

Cadet

Have you ever checked the gas? Make sure theres no water in it.

I LOOKED at the gas by pulling the fuel/water separating filter. I poured the contents of the filter into a glass jar to see if any water was immediately apparent. It wasn't. I'm not sure if that is good enough. I have a new float on the way for the MerCarb, just in case there is an issue with the old float. I did not weigh it. The new float was about $13, so I decided to just order the foolish thing and see if it helps. When the new float arrives, I will try the old "alternate fuel source" trick and feed nice fresh ethanol-free dinosaur juice to it and see if it behaves itself. If it does, I have no compunctions about ripping that big ol' 44-gallon plastic tank out of the belly of my boat and purging it- I have done it before. It isn't my favorite way to spend an afternoon, but you do what you gotta do...

I certainly hope that I can make this MerCarb behave itself. I don't NEED a 4 bbl. The boat performs quite well with the 2 bbl when everything is working right. All I am likely to get from a 4 bbl is worse fuel economy (and the thing is thirsty as it is).

Once I get the carb situation ironed out, I need to deal with the lower unit shift cable. The thing is VERY DIFFICULT to get into neutral. I understand that this is usually caused by a sticky/worn lower unit shift cable, which causes the shift "kill switch" to not work correctly. Anybody got sage advice on THAT project? (like- don't try it, pay a pro?)

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the exact same issue with the 2 bl Rochester that I bought from I- 5, ran rich, black smoke. I ended up putting the Mercarb back on and it has been much better............ 5.0 Bravo 3

Hwhig

Cadet

Installed the new float this evening. It runs a lot better. Now I need an opportunity to get it on the water...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

One thing to remember when re-buildin a carb is to clean and re-clean a soak in carb soak,blow out with comp. air,scrub w/ soapy water, re-soak in carb dip blow out with air again and scrub with soapy water and blow it off yet again w/ air making sure every orafice is clear and clean I also coat all the gaskets in vasiline when assemblin so they don't stick to mating parts if need to dis-assemble.

Hwhig

Cadet

HOT DOG!!! I got the thing out on the water last night and she purrs like a kitten and runs like a scalded dog! Runs better than it ever has during my ownership of it. If you rebuild a MerCarb, get a new float. They aren't expensive and it is one less thing to worry about.