Mercury 115 fourstroke or Mercury 115 optimax pro xs

Shane14

Recruit
Hi new to the forum and looking at buying a new Lowe hp18 with Mercury 115 fourstroke or a 115 optimax and would like any advice I can get. I know there will be a 4-5 mph loss and a little hole shot loss but for overall which one should I buy. Thanks for any advice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 115 fourstroke or Mercury 115 optimax pro xs

I would think those motors would use about the same amount of fuel, but the 4 cycle motor takes more maintenance, and you need to buy 2 cycle oil for the Optimax. Sounds like a toss up. Which one is cheaper and by how much? Is the Optimax lighter?

Deeppowder

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 125 Optimax and find it louder than my neibours 115 four stroke. Both motors run well.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard good things about the Optimax.
Going with an outboard over the 100 horse range I would lean twords the two stroke a bit more over the four stroke.
Either motor is too big to troll with.
Mid range on down to kicker I`d put the four stroke in favor over the two stroke.
Etec owners will disagree. That`s just me.

Philster

Captain

Depends on what you want.

The Opti will punch you in the mouth at all RPM. Mid-range punch is off the charts.

I like an engine that bites, has a little scruff and drool and that's the Opti. If you want smooth and steady with refinement, get the 4-stroke.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depends on what you want.

The Opti will punch you in the mouth at all RPM. Mid-range punch is off the charts.

I like an engine that bites, has a little scruff and drool and that's the Opti. If you want smooth and steady with refinement, get the 4-stroke.

I agree with philster, lately been seeing small isusse with the 115 4stk, In the fuel system. Won't go into it to deep, but it has to do with the fuel system management module. For $$ and light weight opti is a good choice.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say it depends on how you plan to use the motor. The 115hp four-stroke is the same motor as the Verado, except it is not supercharged. It is an awesome engine for running hard, racing, etc., but a horrible engine for idling around or trolling all day. The harder you break it in, the better it seems to run. In fact, the biggest problem with this engine is that people don't break it in hard enough, the piston rings don't seal properly, and the engine ends up making oil throughout its lifetime. You also need to run the engine hard enough, hot enough to burn off condensation in the crankcase to reduce its propensity for making oil.

So, if you like to run your engines hard and fast a lot, then the four-stroke may be for you. If you're like most of us, and spend quite a bit of time idling around or trolling, then the OptiMax would probably serve you better.