New boat project for a boat newbie

Nightblade

Cadet
Greetings,

Im new to the whole boat restoration thing, and my girlfriend and I just got a 1976 Chrysler 16' Funster the boat appears to be in decent shape for its age. My GF has painted several cars before and she wants to repaint the boat as the finish is worn off.

LINK to eBay has a bunch of pics

Also the decking is shot and looks much worse than the pictures show, so I plan on replacing that. Seemed much easier last Thursday than now, after I've read a lot, DOH!

As of today, I have purchased lumber to make 2 outboard stands, and I plan on starting them tomorrow, as the Mercury 800 needs to come off and I figured I'd make one for the 1973 Evinrude 40 hp I just picked up yesterday.

Jen is going to tackle the Upholstery and Painting, while I take on the decking.

Question 1: Has anyone used the RustOleum Marine Coatings before, as we were thinking of repainting both the topside and the hull?

Question 2: Can you use Bondo on boats to fill some minor spots?

Well tonight we removed the front cushions and some carpet and the floor is plywood covered with a layer of fiberglass and is rotted in 2 major spots. Tomorrow night will be carpet removing joy. I'll post some pics tomorrow night

Thanks,

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: New boat project for a boat newbie

If your GF has painted cars, then I would recommend Awlgrip as a hull and topside coat. It will look like fiberglass and not like paint, and probably last until the next millennium.

I'm not sure about the Bondo, but we have a member here named Bond-o, so he can comment on that. For minor dings and such, you should use gelcoat rather than an automotive product.

There are lots of folks here that do restoration and can advise on the plywood and structural stuff. Also, lots of project threads to see what others have done.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Many here have used RustOleum coatings to paint their boats. I have also seen implement paint used. Awlgrip would be the better choice as would Imron. I would recommend Gelcoat for the bottom as it just holds up much better. I have used bondo to fill some minor spots in above waterline applications no problems yet after about five years. If you have resin and cloth for the floor you can also use that to fill some minor spots. That looks to be a fun boat you have there.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the paint recommendation since you have someone with experience with a spray gun. Imron is my first choice, I've used it alot with great results and longevity.. Surface prep is the BIG key here, to a good bond and nice looking finish....

Nightblade

Cadet

thanks for the all the info

time to get started on the outboard stands, while the weather is decent here in IL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool hull you got there. Be interesting to see if that neat old Merc runs.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That 800 Merc is NICE. Ad says it's siezed. If you can get it running and somewhat restored, I'm thinking you could get almost $1K for it if you did not want to use it on the boat. I painted my boat hull with EasyPoxy with an added hardener and the top cap with Plain old Valspare Tractor Paint with the added hardener. I LOVE the results. Total cost was under $150. If I had it to do again, I'd paint it all with the Valspar and Hardener. Could do a 16' Boat for under $100 bucks.

Nightblade

Cadet

ya I love the looks of the old Merc but we picked up a running 1973 Evinrude 40hp for $180 so the Merc is going to be taking a backseat until we get the boat working

The chrome front piece of the Merc is just gorgeous, and Id love to get it running again even though its the old 'Dockbuster' model, but after the replies to my post in the Merc repair section I think its going to be awhile before I have the money to fix the old beast

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

I like that layout of the boat, it's easy to walk around. I bet it makes a good fishing boat or cruising boat with the family.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thats a real cool fun looking boat! I think a 40 hrs might be to small. It looks kinda heavy .
Just a thought .:)

Nightblade

Cadet

Thats a real cool fun looking boat! I think a 40 hrs might be to small. It looks kinda heavy .
Just a thought .:)

ya im sure but the Merc is gonna take a lot to get running and the price was right on the 40hp plus we just gonna fish on the beast and outboard prices are high here in chicagoland