1989 merc force spark loss

rainman01

Cadet
I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 50hp Force on it. It occcassionaly will completely lose spark to both cylinders. Sometimes you shut her off and it just wont start. Grounding out the plug wires shows no spark. Sometimes it will start if I "jump" the solenoid, but not always. I AM NOT a motorhead, and am working for a living so can not afford to let my local dealer fool around with it at $85.00 per hour. We live on a lake and have a number of boats. I am new to Iboats, and am hoping to stem the cash flow to the boats. Its kind of add, it always starts the first time, and sometimes all day while boating. But mostly, it will require much cranking of the motor to re-start after the initial start. Any ideas?
Dennis.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 merc force spark loss

Since your new!!! Get a compression tester and inline spark checkers.
Just holding the plug against a ground you can blow the pack.
Some auto parts stores loan tools(comp tester),the sparkies are about 6-20 bucks.
Jumping the solenoid should make no difference in the spark.
Install the sparkies when it does it again.Making sure it really is a no spark problem.
Check for loose connections on both terminals.
I'd start with changing the hoses and clean the carb and rebuild the fuel pump.Just to make sure!
New plugs?
Profile?Location?You might be close to someone who can help.

rainman01

Cadet

Definately a newbie. Location is Northern Minnesota, Near Staples. Speciffically on Fawn Lake. Did'nt actually hald the plug against a ground. Pulled the plug and stuck in a screwdriver, and held it against a ground. I am sure that is not any better for the packs. Did not know that aboout the packs. Anyhow, when I did it I went to a old method my dad showed me on cars back in the late 60's. When no spark was apparent on the ground, I held the shaft of the screwdriver to see if there was even a lite spark. Nothing. I will try a spark tester. 20 bucks is minor when trying to solve an annoying problem. Yes, I did replace the plugs, but to no avail. It runs nice, with a slight miss at idle. Throtled up and running, no noticable problems. It always starts on the first use. The problem manjhfests itself after having been run, but again, not always. I also have a buddy who lives in Lakeland, Fla. He is a truckdriver and maintains a house up here and down there. He comes here about once a month. If location helps, maybe that is a possibility.
Thank you for your help on this and my other post,
Dennis.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds temperature related. Does it only no-start when hot? Does it ever die on its own?

Weird that both cylinders loose spark. I was going to guess that a coil had an internal short that occurs when it gets hot. But both coils loosing spark seems more like the control box. X2 on checking electrical connections.

Get it to fail, and spray some freeze spray (apply slowly) or canned air on the controller and see if it starts up quicker than before.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Check the flywheel magnet.It might be loose???

rainman01

Cadet

Always starts first time. Sometimes can run all day pulling the kids and grandkids, MOST of the time she will fuss with me. Weird! Thought temp. related also, but not sure where to look.
Thank you,
Dennis.