Evinrude 7.5 Aquasonic Pressurized fuel line or Suction Fuel line, HOW?

wildartstech

Cadet
Thanks in advance!

I have a 1955 7.5 hrs. Evinrude Fleetwin Aquasonic outboard motor. Anyone have any ideas about a conversion to a suction fuel line in terms of plausibility, parts availability or operating concerns? Also Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to find a pressurized gas tank? or either for that matter?

Right now I'm open to both options but have no experience in the conversion or using the pressurized fuel tank. I'm handy enough to do it but my Biggest concern with a conversion is it not working properly and spending more time fixing than playing although it sounds more appealing than my biggest concern with pressurized gasoline vapor system, in that it bears similar attributes of a gasoline bomb. Either way I have to spend the money, also part of the consideration. Again, open to ideas! Craigslist isn't producing pressurized fuel tank listings, at least not anywhere local.

kbait

Commander
Re: Evinrude 7.5 Aquasonic Pressurized fuel line or Suction Fuel line, HOW?

A good pressure tank/line/coupler o-rings will work fine w/your motor.. and not go boom. :)

Search this forum for 'fuel pump conversion'. You'll find more info than you bargained for.. easy conversion, not much $$.

Here's a general link about pressure systems: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380378

Good luck!

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

You'll find thru searching as suggested that it is an easy job and you have a better reason than a lot of people to want to do it: You don't own a two line tank. You could certainly buy one; they are on e-bay all the time; sometimes at high prices, sometimes not. Your other concern is whether you desire to keep your motor original. That means a lot to some and very little to others,

Some folks switch to the fuel pump system in an effort to cut down on the number of gas cans lying around; but remember that your motor needs at least 24:1...so having a different tank might keep you from using the wrong mix.

From what I've read; you don't need to be worried about the bomb aspect of it. All tanks build up pressure if left to sit in the sun un-vented. That sort of pressure can be a lot higher than the 3-4 pounds produced by your pressure system.

Chuck

wildartstech

Cadet

Hi,

Some folks switch to the fuel pump system in an effort to cut down on the number of gas cans lying around; but remember that your motor needs at least 24:1...so having a different tank might keep you from using the wrong mix.

Chuck

Good point! I thought of that too since the other engines are 50:1 and I'd need another tank for it.. Not worried about keeping everything original but I'd hesitate and reconsider before permanently altering anything. It's going to be on a 1959ish Alumacraft Deep C. I'm not refinishing the boat all the way at least not this year just parts of it. At the same time, I'm not adding or altering anything permanently just so I can maintain as much collectable value as possible. Of course, there's already a zillion holes drilled in it from the unknown number of people who'd owned it before me. I guess they all had to put on a different set of accessories every time it switched owners. I've been finding places to mount everything without drilling any new holes, lol. It should have been listed on Craigslist as... "all accessory holes pre-drilled".

But even with the gas tanks.... I already have several...

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep looking there are deals out there on the dual line tanks, I happened into one this past Jan, picked up an AD-10 and a good tank for $50, dealer just wanted to get his money back out of it, ended up needing a coil and impeller, runs fine now. I like to keep my dual line motors original to make sure I don't mess up on the mix ratio.