bearing buddy keeps popping off

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lost one already, then another popped off this weekend. Brand new one. Had to pound on with a bfh so i know it is on tight.

What would cause them to just pop off?

Both times same side, replaced with new one. Getting 2-3 trips before it pops.

Glastron trailer, good shape, had rubber plugs until i put on buddies last year.

Should i use some locktite or something on them?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: bearing buddy keeps popping off

Duct tape maybe to hold them on.

since the bearing buddies use an interference fit, perhaps your hub inner diameter is a bit too big ?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Here is a trick for bearing buddies that I learned from this forum. Mine when on great and are nice and tight, but I didn't want to take any chances. I also used a small amount of permatex-2 to ensure the seal was good. Just have to make sure I have the right tools to take the clamps off when I want to check the buddies. It is relatively quick and easy.
SAM_1057a.jpg

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I had that problem for over a year, finally replaced the hub and bearing buddy. That solved the problem, It appears the bub was just slightly out of round, not enough that you could see it, but when i mic it is was evident.

Ray1958

Cadet

I usually just peen the inside diameter slightly, enough to require a light tap on fit of the bearing cap. Has always worked well.

Ray

scooper77515

These are pretty new hubs, very low mileage, and brand new bearing buddies, which took a MAJOR hitting with sledgehammer and large socket (to even out the pounding) to get them to seat.

TOO much pounding, now that I think about it, making me think the out-of-round theory might be correct.

Not too difficult to secure it more properly. Something along the "safety wire" or small set-screw solution route...

Mainly, wanted to see if this was a common problem and what the issues and solutions might be. I have used bearing buddies for a long time on several trailers without issue, then this one just spits them out to spite me...

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice

Dad had the same problem on his boat trailer I lost one going to the gas station about 2 miles away. We went back to the old trusty dust cap. Never had problem after that.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What would cause them to just pop off?

Installing with a BFH ... :facepalm:

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I lost 2 a couple of months ago, my man has now put the smallest tack weld on the new ones to secure them (2 on each).
They 'aint going nowhere! :D

scooper77515

If not a BFH, then how do you get those things in? I didn't hit directly onto the bearing buddies, but used a large socket between buddy and hammer.

I thought about a tack weld, but wasn't sure what type of metal is under that chrome coating, and if it would tack.

I may try that. Easy, quick, cheap. And if it works, it should be very effective.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like to use a 2x4 against the bb. Shouldn't need clamps, safety wire or duct tape to keep them on. If you do, something else is wrong.

scooper77515

I went ahead and did a small tack weld on each. I doubt I will have any further problems.

Next time I do bearing work, I might buy new hubs just in case there is something wrong with my current ones.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I first made the big mistake of buying TieDown disk brakes, I started having the Bearing Buddy issues with them falling off. When I got smart and switched to Kodiacs, that problem stopped so the issue was the hub.

I would probably subscribe to the "peening from the inside" camp.

MRS

Commander

I just replaced the axle on mytrailer and first trip Had one pop off do not know why. the one that popped off was stainless replaced with a regular one from wally world and has never came back off. Used 2x4 and a hammer to pound back on so do not know if it is the stainless that cause the trouble or not but other side never popped off...

fishrdan

Admiral

I've never dropped a BB, but think lock-titing them would work well. Clean the hub's surface (where the BB seats) well with acetone or carb cleaner, apply a bead of locktite to the BB, drive it in, then clean of the excess lock-tite.

scooper77515

My walmart ones on my last two trailers always held up.

These are stainless, as you said.

I am surprised they are popping off, because they are a TIGHT fit.

The hubs originally had a rubber dust cap, not a metal one. Could the ones with the rubber caps be made differently so the bb's don't hold on as well?

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe you could give each BB a good sharp tap with a hammer or squeeze it in a vise to deform it to be very slightly out of round, providing for a interference fit when you insert it in the hub?....sorta like the peening idea....just a thought!;)

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am willing to bet it is right after you get done greasing them. The pressure of the grease is pushing the bearing buddy back. Try to add a little less grease. I only grease my bearings once a month (depending on the distance travelled) but try to let the BB sit overnight before taking her down the road and check to make sure they are seated. I am willing to bet your BB will have slid out a little because of the pressure of the grease inside.