Water leak causing excessive bilge activation

xxVERITASxx

Recruit
Hey guys,

I just got my first boat, a 1987 Searay Seville with a Mercruiser 205 Alpha One engine. After putting it in the water for the first time since I bought it, I started the engine and water started leaking and filling the engine bay. This caused the bilge to come on after only about 2 minutes of running the engine. I took a look at where the extra water was coming from and saw it leaking from the stern/starboard area of the engine. After talking to a few people, they thought it could be from a plug that was not put back in the engine or a cracked/leaking hose. Has anyone experienced this same issue before and/or does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it? Also, does anyone have a diagram of this engine?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water leak causing excessive bilge activation

Start it up on muffs with the drain plug out and see where the leak is for sure. We can sure help you fix a leak, but we sure can't tell you where it's coming from without seeing it. Maybe a picture of the area where the leak is.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There really ain't no Easy button for leaks....

Ya gotta Look, while it's leakin', 'n Id the Where it's leakin'...

Then fix it....

xxVERITASxx

Recruit

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll see if I can get a video of it and post it up.

xxVERITASxx

Recruit

Prolly won't get to it until Friday tho...:facepalm:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Recently had the same issue.... It was my exhaust elbow hose clamps (all of them....very loose; 22 years old and probably hadn't been touched. Previous owner just "lived with it"). Just sayin'. Hope it is that easy for you.
Oh, and lots of good places on here to get engine diagrams. "Adults Only" section.... Also lots of good parts websites show exploded views... crowleymarine.com, mercruiserparts.com.