Power Steering pump replacement

isusnyder

Recruit
First time boater, first time on this website and looking for help. I have a 1994 Celebrity 240 bowrider w/ 454 I/O that has a bad power steering pump. I'd like to just use an automotive one and adjust the PSI to the correct specs. I don't have a manual for the boat and was wondering if anyone knows where to set it at? Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Steering pump replacement

First time boater, first time on this website and looking for help. I have a 1994 Celebrity 240 bowrider w/ 454 I/O that has a bad power steering pump. I'd like to just use an automotive one and adjust the PSI to the correct specs. I don't have a manual for the boat and was wondering if anyone knows where to set it at? Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Who's motor,..?? What drive,..??

Generally speakin', the pumps are all Saginaw pumps....
The pump, 'n it's psi settings are pretty much the same,...
What changes is the bolt holes, 'n fitting connection points...

I donno which GM P/S pump most closely mirrors the Mercruiser pumps.... If you've got a Merc,..??
Short of checkin', 'n lookin', I donno how to find out either...

isusnyder

Recruit

Thanks for your response. I have a yamaha outdrive with a GM replacement 454 motor. I'm sure I can weld a bracket to accomodate the automotive P/S pump as it is easily accessible. I also have the ability to test and change the PSI, but don't know where to set the PSI. Any help is apprecitated.

Bondo

Staff member

I also have the ability to test and change the PSI, but don't know where to set the PSI.

Ayuh,... As I said, it shouldn't need to be changed...