1988 85 hp running issues

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok this is what happen this past weekend

filled my boat up with gas went out on the river about 7 miles down river turned around got back on plain for about 10 min. and the motor died. restated it fine, punched it to get on plain and the motor died. I then looked back to see what was wrong and discovered my gas cap was missing. I think the gas attendant did not put the cap back on. So i stuffed a plastic bag to cover the hole and went fishing. for about 2 hours. Then went to go home. boat ran fine for about 10 min. then it cut out I had to go slow to make it back to the docks. my question is, could it be because of the missing gas cap that is causing the problem or is it something else.

Last edited:

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 85 hp running issues

Did a comp check 135, 135, 135 all good spark good and strong starts on the 1st turn

themichelob

Cadet

mauiboy--Since none of the more knowledgeable folks have responded, I'll offer a couple of thoughts. I know in Oregon there's no self serve gas stations. Was the "gas attendant" supposed to also add the oil to your fuel mixture depending on the number of gallons of gasoline he put in? Is it possible that you took on some water into the gas filler tube when you came off plane? Hope you figure it out. Regards, Mike

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try re-priming with the bulb and a restart. Maybe crap in your filter. Hopefully the oil did not get forgotten.....

Did any of the plastic bag melt?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like it might have been starving for gas.Possible vent clog??
You have a built in tank or running 6 gal.portable?
Like the others said,oil mixture?
Possible you get water in the tank?
Thought Jersey was the only place that pumped gas for you:)

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no the plastic bags did not melt and i had put the oil in before they pumped the gas i knew how much it would take. and when it died it started right back up.

yep oregon too i have a built in tank and i guess I did not check to make sure that the gas cap was on. if water got into the tank would it cause the same problems as i discribed above. runs fine on idle and slightly higher speeds. but will not stay on plain verry long.

Last edited:

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it lose prime? If you are on plane, and it starts to sag, have someone squeeze the bulb.

This would be a major clue.

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think so the motor just cuts out and i can restart it without priming the bulb