what features would you want in a new boat?

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys

just doing a little research,

My question is as follows:

If you were to buy a new direct drive ski boat in the 19-21ft range, what features in it would you want?
such as
* perfect pass
* cooler
* stereo? what kind and how many speakers

etc etc

Cheers in advance guys

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: what features would you want in a new boat?

Well, it depends on what you are using the boat for? I mean, PerfectPass, etc are great especially if you intend to run courses, but aren't exactly necessary if you don't. The built in coolers are nice, but some place them underneath seats so that someone has to get up to access it. Everyone loves stereos, but as far as # of speakers, it's less important than speaker placement. Are you getting a wakeboard tower? What about a water-ballast system? I'd be more concerned about engine options and wake plates than I would # of speakers. You might describe what the boat will be used for 90% of the time. If you're doing tournament passes, built-in coolers are of little value.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it depends on what you are using the boat for? I mean, PerfectPass, etc are great especially if you intend to run courses, but aren't exactly necessary if you don't. The built in coolers are nice, but some place them underneath seats so that someone has to get up to access it. Everyone loves stereos, but as far as # of speakers, it's less important than speaker placement. Are you getting a wakeboard tower? What about a water-ballast system? I'd be more concerned about engine options and wake plates than I would # of speakers. You might describe what the boat will be used for 90% of the time. If you're doing tournament passes, built-in coolers are of little value.

I completely agree with what you are saying. Basically Im trying to find information on what you would want for a direct drive ski boat, would you really want ballast? If you wanted ballast wouldn't you be better off buying a V-drive wake boat rather than a ski boat?
These are the questions Im asking,
IF you were to buy a new Ski boat, what features would you want or expect to see in it? Every thing is available as an option, Im just trying to find out if what im planning on making as standard features don't seem a little overboard. haha

I do agree with the the cooler and tournament passes comment tho, As I said just trying to pick some peoples minds for more information ;):D

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I consider moving back to a direct drive or a v-drive (in an IO now) I am attracted to a versatile boat that can run the course or give a good enough wake to progress.

Cruise control / perfect pass would be a must!

Personally, I would want sport seating like the option in the Malibu sunscape seating.

Lots of storage both on the boat and via the tower.

Yes, would want a tower.

Classy, timely graphics, versus something that looks like a teenagers doodle folder.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would get ballast built in and a tower. Skiing is less popular than boarding now, and surfing is fast becoming popular. One of my favourite options is a heater. The Hot Tubes are great for keeping comfortable when you're wet. Stereos are very personal so just pick what you want.
Getting an adjustable wake plate is a really good feature in an inboard. It helps to be able to adjust the attitude of the hull for bad weather or to shape the wake. My best option on my inboard is my FAE exhaust.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would get ballast built in and a tower. Skiing is less popular than boarding now, and surfing is fast becoming popular. One of my favourite options is a heater. The Hot Tubes are great for keeping comfortable when you're wet. Stereos are very personal so just pick what you want.
Getting an adjustable wake plate is a really good feature in an inboard. It helps to be able to adjust the attitude of the hull for bad weather or to shape the wake. My best option on my inboard is my FAE exhaust.

Yep so the general consensus so far appears to be a cross over boat rather than a direct drive ski boat.
I posted roughly the same question in the wakeboarding part in regards to a V-drive.

So I may change the question........
If you are going to buy a boat please tell me how you would order it
V-drive or direct drive?
open bow for more seating or closed bow for more storage?
Vdrive gives you allot of seating room even in closed bow, direct drive is standard seating,
what options you would put in such as
Heater
tower
perfect pass etc etc

thanks guys

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I consider moving back to a direct drive or a v-drive (in an IO now) I am attracted to a versatile boat that can run the course or give a good enough wake to progress.

Cruise control / perfect pass would be a must!

Personally, I would want sport seating like the option in the Malibu sunscape seating.

Lots of storage both on the boat and via the tower.

Yes, would want a tower.

Classy, timely graphics, versus something that looks like a teenagers doodle folder.

Well the V-drive has seating in exactly the same layout as the malibu, the direct drive is standard direct drive seating

would you prefer a closed bow with that seating in the vdrive to give you further storage options?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a slalom skier, I am not interested in a cross-over boat. So I would never buy a V-drive.
A tower, ballast and wake enhancing wedge(Malibu) or trim plate(Tige) in my opinion is unnecessary - the wedge gets removed on anyone I ski with.
We remove the back seat ALL THE TIME to have less weight and more space inside the boat.
Heater is great. Yes to perfect pass.
Cooler, radio and bling is unnecessary for me.

If I were developing a new boat and hoping to sell any quantity of them I would probably design a cross-over (direct drive OR V-drive).
I'd also make it as quiet as possible - even if that mean 50 hp less.

There are already solid options for the hard core slalom skiers and they tend to be extremely brand-loyal.
I'd also go to school on the big three ski/wake boat manufacturers on the cross over models they have brought to market in the last 5 years and see what has sold well for them.

haulnazz15

Captain

I love to slalom ski, but I can't see buying a direct-drive tournament boat for the use I'd get from it. I don't ski tournaments, and the V-drive is a bit more utilitarian and will still produce a great ski-wake. Open bow, with tower that is easily removable but can contain racks for skis/wakeboards/bimini top. As far as speakers go, I like sound, but more isn't always better. 6-speaker + small sub is adequate for the boat itself (2 bow/2 helm area/2 rear bench). Add option for 4 speakers on the wakeboard rack if you want. I want quality of sound, not loudness. PerfectPass is a must, but ballast system needs to be an option for when you want to make waves.

That being said, the Cobalt 232WSS/242WSS are my dream boat aside from being I/O.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well the V-drive has seating in exactly the same layout as the malibu, the direct drive is standard direct drive seating

would you prefer a closed bow with that seating in the vdrive to give you further storage options?

I have not seen a v-drive closed bow. Who makes one? The sport seating Malibu offers gives you two captain's chairs, versus the wrap around seating you see on a v-drive. Sometimes its nice for the passenger to be able to face forward when cruising to dinner by boat or when the weather is bad.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not seen a v-drive closed bow. Who makes one? The sport seating Malibu offers gives you two captain's chairs, versus the wrap around seating you see on a v-drive. Sometimes its nice for the passenger to be able to face forward when cruising to dinner by boat or when the weather is bad.

I can make one :D (maybe)

Thats why Im looking at all that there is to offer from people who would contemplate buying one.

Yep I agree thanks for the insight.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love to slalom ski, but I can't see buying a direct-drive tournament boat for the use I'd get from it. I don't ski tournaments, and the V-drive is a bit more utilitarian and will still produce a great ski-wake. Open bow, with tower that is easily removable but can contain racks for skis/wakeboards/bimini top. As far as speakers go, I like sound, but more isn't always better. 6-speaker + small sub is adequate for the boat itself (2 bow/2 helm area/2 rear bench). Add option for 4 speakers on the wakeboard rack if you want. I want quality of sound, not loudness. PerfectPass is a must, but ballast system needs to be an option for when you want to make waves.

That being said, the Cobalt 232WSS/242WSS are my dream boat aside from being I/O.
hey thanks for the insight. I think that what you are describing there would be what our base model would be.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a slalom skier, I am not interested in a cross-over boat. So I would never buy a V-drive.
A tower, ballast and wake enhancing wedge(Malibu) or trim plate(Tige) in my opinion is unnecessary - the wedge gets removed on anyone I ski with.
We remove the back seat ALL THE TIME to have less weight and more space inside the boat.
Heater is great. Yes to perfect pass.
Cooler, radio and bling is unnecessary for me.

If I were developing a new boat and hoping to sell any quantity of them I would probably design a cross-over (direct drive OR V-drive).
I'd also make it as quiet as possible - even if that mean 50 hp less.

There are already solid options for the hard core slalom skiers and they tend to be extremely brand-loyal.
I'd also go to school on the big three ski/wake boat manufacturers on the cross over models they have brought to market in the last 5 years and see what has sold well for them.

The up side is the boats are already designed, they just need the configurations set and to have certain models made.
I think what you have just said is exactly what I was thinking.
A dedicated wake,
a Good crossover
a good skier.

sounds easy enough to me :D

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could a light enough hull not get the job done with a 4.3 v-6 to save on weight and fuel costs? I have always wondered that?

haulnazz15

Captain

Could a light enough hull not get the job done with a 4.3 v-6 to save on weight and fuel costs? I have always wondered that?

I don't think hull weight has a lot to do with it. While a 4.3L may work for some, I think the grunt of a V8 is necessary in many cases to get on plane and on-speed by the time the skier makes it through the gate. The engines need a lot of torque to counteract the tons of force a skier puts on the boat when pulling out of a corner and getting across to the next ball. I'm not sure the 4.3L would be able to react quickly enough with PerfectPass in some instances. A lot of those boats are rated 400HP and above, I can't imagine it's solely for bragging rights.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think hull weight has a lot to do with it. While a 4.3L may work for some, I think the grunt of a V8 is necessary in many cases to get on plane and on-speed by the time the skier makes it through the gate. The engines need a lot of torque to counteract the tons of force a skier puts on the boat when pulling out of a corner and getting across to the next ball. I'm not sure the 4.3L would be able to react quickly enough with PerfectPass in some instances. A lot of those boats are rated 400HP and above, I can't imagine it's solely for bragging rights.

yep your right, in regards to ski boats HP is important. not necessarily 12billion horsepower, but These days with how most crossover hulls are designed when you factor in the weight of all the trims and accessories, the loads a skier puts on it and
especially a twin deep water start, you do need the torque to maintain throttle response. the actual weight of a motor with the v6 and v8 is not really as big as you would think it is. As the saying goes you may have the horse power but that doesn't mean that you have to use it. But it sure is handy to have.:D

haulnazz15

Captain

Well the torque number is actually of somewhat more importance, and @ what RPM. That 350 V8 will produce the same torque @ 2000 rpm that the 4.3L does at 3,000 rpm. With the 350 having another 70 ft/lbs advantage by 3,000 rpm. That's on a stock 350. You compare the suped-up versions that are running 400+HP, the torque just gets silly down low. You can deep water start a 250lbs guy on slalom without flinching.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the torque number is actually of somewhat more importance, and @ what RPM. That 350 V8 will produce the same torque @ 2000 rpm that the 4.3L does at 3,000 rpm. With the 350 having another 70 ft/lbs advantage by 3,000 rpm. That's on a stock 350. You compare the suped-up versions that are running 400+HP, the torque just gets silly down low. You can deep water start a 250lbs guy on slalom without flinching.

Yep your right, I thought I mentioned the torque, but yes I can't even word it any better :D

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For non-course skiing, I'm fine with the boat moving around a bit and less of a freight train pull. One of my regular ski buds has a 1976 18' Hydrodyne w/160 hp GM inline 6 i/o. This is a narrow, flat-bottom hull that has a very nice wake. My old CVX-16 with 120 hp outboard was definitely a V-hull, but it weighed so little (1100 lb with motor) that it had a small wake - my lightweight kids at the time preferred the 15' off 26-28 mph slalom wake to that of a friends Malibu.

So maybe this is a bit off topic, but since I have access to inboards with friends when I am skiing the course, I would sooner buy an outboard powered rig like this for myself.

http://www.dyna-ski.com/20OB.html

401444635.jpg

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a pretty cool boat mate, We wouldn't have the capability to move to outboards at this point if we get up off the ground, Although That is some thing to look into for later. this is what we are looking at making. Wakemaster @ Houseboat December 2007 Wake.jpgwakemaster dd.jpg

We are looking at revamping the line up and differentiating the models. Once that is done and our product base has started, we will start on the development of the new boats.