Plywood floor overlay ?

ebassett74

Cadet
The floor on my boat has a couple of rivets that have pulled through the wood and is a little bit soft in areas. I am seeing if anyone has put marine grade plywood over the existing floor. I am thinking of purchasing the plywood and stainless screws but have some concerns about the two staying together. What about putting Liquid Nails or some other adhesive to the two half's ?

Attachments

• Floor.jpg
    Floor.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Plywood floor overlay ?

Good day,

I would not recommend overlay on existing problems. I feel you should cut a hole to inspect the issues.... If you cover things up it could get much worse very fast... You may be able to patch the effected areas, but I would want to know what the root cause is....Take a look at my Imperial thread... I though I had a solid boat???????

ebassett74

Cadet

The softness is from where the rivets from the wood have come through the wood. I dont mean spongy as in rot more of when you walk on the floor it flexes a small amount do to not being secured all that it used to be to the ribbing. I will review the post now. Thank you much.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

The softness is from where the rivets from the wood have come through the wood. I dont mean spongy as in rot more of when you walk on the floor it flexes a small amount do to not being secured all that it used to be to the ribbing. I will review the post now. Thank you much.

Don't think adding another layer of plywood would be recommended under any circumstance. If it is flexing due to fastener failure, you may be farther ahead to try and refasten the floor. Also you should seal that spot where the rivet pulled out so water can't get in it there.
t

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I'm with bear. Sounds like it's time for a new deck. Sorry man, prolly not what ya wanted to hear.

Welcome to the iboats drydock:)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm with everyone else here. It's just about as easy to replace the deck as it is to try and overlay it plus you have the added benefit of being able to see what the condition of everthing underneath is. You could have saturated foam in there that will continue to be a problem no matter how many layers of plywood are on top of it.

The real big downside to adding an extra layer is the weight you'll add to the boat. I can't actually say that you'll notice it in performance but it would hard to imagine that you wouldn't.

BansheeVision

Seaman

Only you know how far gone it really is. Overlaying the existing deck is almost as much work and expense as just replacing it, I would not overlay - but that is me. If the fasteners are holding tight in the underlying structure and are merely pulling through the deck in one area, and the deck is solid (easy to check by poking around with an awl), you may be able to just sister in some more fasteners and seal off the spots where the tired ones were with a bit of PL. (PL400 through PL900 is floor joist adhesive that comes in calking gun tubes. It is readily available at your local hardware mart. It is superior to liquid nails and probably cheaper because they need no advertising budget as it is commonly used in the construction industry)

The next larger step would be to replace a section. If you do this, replace from joists/ribs center line to center line and across the entire width of the floor. You can quickly do most of your cutting/removal with a circular saw set to cut just a bit deeper than the sheathing. I would use PL and plated fasteners to reinstall. SS hardware is crazy expensive and many manufacturers used plated anyway (this is quickly verified with a little grinding). Unless you are planning on this being your last ever boat, I would also use green-board (exterior plywood sheeting). I know some people will baulk at this, but if your keep your boat covered or garaged when not in use it will last a very long time, a 1/2" 4'X8' sheet is less than $30. (you can even toss a coat of paint on it before installing if it makes you feel better). You can replace a lot of floor for under $50 if you are careful to pull back and reuse the carpet.

There is no sense in being hell bent on doing a leg amputation when all you need is your toenails trimmed. Get your boat back in the water and spend the money on sun, fun, and gas.

ebassett74

Cadet

After reading peoples posts I will now be looking into replacing the entire floor. Not what I originally had in mind but it seems to be the proper way of doing it. I do want something that will hold up to the usage for a couple of more years and I use my boat fishing four or more times per week when the season is here. I will continue to read posts and start a research a strategy on replacing the floor. I will keep you updated and thank you for the advice.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fish 4x per week? Man, that's awesome!

With that much traffic you ought to look into sealing up your deck with epoxy and then covering with vinyl. Nautolex makes some very durable stuff.

Click the "Starcraft Rebuilds" link in my signature and you'll see some really great examples on how to do this. My buddy ezmobee is one I'm thinking of at the moment.

Have fun!:)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Heed all advice given, I know this sound repetitive, but overlaying a deck is just like sweeping the dirt under a rug. You did't really clean up anything and the floor is just as dirty, you just don't see it right now, but it'll be back.

I really like sschefer warning about the foam, very possible.

CW