Wet plugs

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Ok--so I changed my plugs today--all 6 looked great--no carbon build up, evenly burned--but all were wet?
When I last ran the engine on dec. 8th I pulled the fuel hose and let it run until the engine died, cranked a couple more times to get it to start to burn anymore fuel out--done. I figured all the fuel would be gone after 3 months. Is this good or bad?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wet plugs

Pulling the fuel line on a multi-carb engine is very risky, KDAVID. When the last carb runs dry the other cylinders and their crank bearings have been without lubrication, maybe long enough to cause damage.

A better solution is to drain the carb bowls after shut down and before storage.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Pulling the fuel line on a multi-carb engine is very risky, KDAVID. When the last carb runs dry the other cylinders and their crank bearings have been without lubrication, maybe long enough to cause damage.

A better solution is to drain the carb bowls after shut down and before storage.

Point taken--thanks. Would the plugs being wet 3 months after be normal or be a sign of some issue?

JB

Water wet or fuel wet?

JB

I would think it unusual after three months except that the fuel you had in it before storage included some oil. It does not evaporate.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I would think it unusual after three months except that the fuel you had in it before storage included some oil. It does not evaporate.

Thanks--I suppose I'll keep an eye on it this year.