Mounting 3.0 4cyl engine to hull

broesten

Recruit
I have an 85 SeaSwirl with a 3.0 gmc 4cyl engine. The oil pump froze last year and I need to swap out the engine. It appears that the motor mounts are mounted to 2 6x6 railroad ties, one on each side of the engine. But they do not appear to be attached to the hull in any way except maybe glue that has come unglued. I suspect the engine was pulled and rebuilt by a shade tree mechanic. How is the engine/railroad ties supposed to be attached to the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mounting 3.0 4cyl engine to hull

They should be tabbed into the hull using Polyester Resin and several layers of CSM and either Woven roving or 1708 Biaxial cloth. Check the link in my signature for Stringers. Same methods apply.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Let alone the the alignment of the outdrive to the coupler has more than likely been comprimised and no longer in a operable state.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

What both of these guys said^^^^. Just a little additional color. If this is a merc i/o set-up, you got to do the alignment first and then back into the proper height of your engine mounts from there. Check out Friscoboaters vids; also Jasoutside just went through the alignment/mounting phase on his Islander thread and walks you right through it.

Hope this helps.