1996 Evinrude 28hp Misfire

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Okay fellas, I went out on the water with my good friend the other day, and his motor was misfiring badly. It did it quite often at idle, but it was more harsh under a bit of throttle. At full throttle it was barely detectable.I printed the CDI manual, and it says to use a DVA tester to check the powerpack. Well I do not have one, nor the $100 to buy one. I checked the rectifier, it is good. The ignition coil packs have good, even resistance. I am not sure what wires to use to check the resistance of the stator. The timing sensor assembly looks like it has seen better days. Is it common for this part to fry out first? It is part #30 on here.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1996&hp=28&model=E28ESLEDR&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition

Anyways, here is the CDI portion. Do any of you fellas have any experience with this motor? Never really worked on an ignition system quite like this.http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting%20guide/OMC%202%20Cylinder%201977-2006%204-60%20HP.pdf

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1996 Evinrude 28hp Misfire

Pull out the plugs and hook up a spark tester. Crank the engine, and check that it sparks 1-2-1-2-1.... and not both at the same time.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Pull out the plugs and hook up a spark tester. Crank the engine, and check that it sparks 1-2-1-2-1.... and not both at the same time.

If only it were that easy man. I guess my real question here is for anyone that has experience with the 80's and newer evinrudes if they have noticed that the timing sensor assembly has gone bad in many cases. And it is hard to count the amount of sparks missed when a motor is idling at 650 rpms, or 11 sparks per second......

AlTn

Commander

got access to an inductive timing light?..if so..try narrowing the miss done to 1 cyl., or both? 1 cyl miss points to the powerpack or 1 ignition coil, both cylinders intermittent will require testing of the pack,coils, timing sensor, power coil, possibly the charge coils/rectifier circuits. Seems all the testing for the cd ignitions begin with removing the black/yellow kill circuit wire to the pack and seeing what affect that has. There should be no voltage going to the pack from this kill wire. I think cdi has a very low allowable voltage given, but it's not much.

Then again, it may be something not involving the ignition.

Haffiman

Commander

I said 'crank', as it might be a bit difficult running with the plugs out??
If not electric start, pulling the starter is enough.
If a UFI power-pack, yes, they go bad frequently!!
If you have a good timing light, mark the flywheel even for bottom cyl at TDC and run the engine..
If when pick-up is hooked to cyl 1, you should not be able to see the marks for cyl 2 at TDC etc.
As a retired dealer I've had my numbers fault searching those engines.