61 Merc 800 basic questions

Nightblade

Cadet
Greetings,

I just bought a 1976 Chrysler Funster 16' deckboat, trailer with all new electrical and tires, and a 1961 Mercury 800 (DR) as a cheap project boat, spent $400.

The serial number of the motor is 1375237 which after looking up a few sites says I have the 'Dockbuster' model (LOL).

I also have purchased off of eBay a Kiekhaefer/Mercury Outboard Motor Service Guide '59-'64, but I'm not exactly sure what help or how much help a pocket service guide is?

What exactly is (DR) Direct Reversing? My boating experience with outboards is next to none.

Anything other basic knowledge to know about this motor?

Money is tight, but I love the old looks of the motor. The front Chrome piece is just beautiful :) So, I wondering if it's worth the effort to get the beast working. Currently, the motor is seized up, as I cant turn the prop at all.

I have pulled the top cover off and and pulled the plugs and the side plate which allows you to see into the cylinders and the top of the pistons look just plain nasty a good 1/8" of grime on top.

I did find a wiring guide on the internet, and after looking at the motor a fair share of wiring will need to be replaced from cracks and corrosion, but a few of the wires are not connected as well.

Anything I should know before I attempt to remove the lower unit?

Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 61 Merc 800 basic questions

Here is the parts listing for your s/n:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/1139.cfm

The OEM service Manual is P/N: 90-25500

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320789186229&clk_rvr_id=320537912894

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual. I prefer the OEM but this will introduce you to the engine. Let me know of you don't get this link in time as it is only available for about 12-24 hours at a time

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?sid=541bb31b-a5e0-4971-9218-e5a576e2625e@sessionmgr14&vid=4&hid=9

Let the page load for 30 seconds.

Gerry

bgc

Ensign

Nightblade,
Welcome to the forum.
I am a big fan of my old Mercs and currently have 4 of them...... its an illness
Direct reversing = no neutral, you start it in gear
Your manual is better than nothing, but the big book is best.
Merc wiring is the pits, use some liquid electrical tape on the ones that are just starting to fail and replace the ones that are bare from all insulation.

www.oldmecs.com has become my number on source for parts.

IMG_0285.jpg

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nightblade,
Welcome to the forum.
I am a big fan of my old Mercs and currently have 4 of them...... its an illness
Your manual is better than nothing, but the big book is best.
Merc wiring is the pits, use some liquid electrical tape on the ones that are just starting to fail and replace the ones that are bare from all insulation.

www.oldmecs.com has become my number on source for parts.

View attachment 134628

Liquid electrical tape is good stuff. I have a1960 merc 300 . The question asked about is it worth the time and money to get the engine back to running can not be answered until it is inspected period. Even a broken rotor in the magneto could cost more than the engine is worth. Some parts for these old mercs can not be bought at any price if you want new stuff. If you just want a dependable engine and not willing to really get into learning all there is to know about their operation forget it.To get to this point (see picture) took many hours of work and this one had little wrong with it. The up side is you really have a classic and It is worth your time .

Attachments

• merc  fall.jpg
    merc fall.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member

a 1961 Mercury 800 (DR) as a cheap project boat, spent $400. The serial number of the motor is 1375237 which after looking up a few sites says I have the 'Dockbuster' model (LOL).

What exactly is (DR) Direct Reversing? My boating experience with outboards is next to none.

Money is tight, but I love the old looks of the motor.

From the main forum page, do a search of he forum for Dockbuster. If you are an experienced boater, it may not be intimidating to have motor that you can NEVER leave running at idle for any reason. If the motor is running the prop is always engaged & the boat is moving. Hence the dock buster name.

I too like the look of the 61 800 motors (actually most 50+ yr old motors) but would never own 1 & put it on my boat. Own 1, maybe, but I'd never be comfortable w/out neutral. Kind of reminds me of the VW bug I had that had a bad clutch & linkage. I was strapped for cash & banged through the gears & coasted as much as possible to avoid having to shift, as much as I could. Worked, got me to work, lasted until pay day, but I was always extremely jumpy & nervous in traffic (like a boat ramp & dock area) and hated it more then I could ever fully explain, for 9 days.

Strong motors, incredible leap forward in motors at the time. Kiekhaefer may not have been a genius, but created absolutely beautiful motors, that were unbelievably strong perfomers!

Like I said, I love the old mercs, but DR, no thanks. But obviously this is just IMHO......

You may be able to find a next gen 800 Merc that you can dress w/ the 61 cowl & still have the look of the 61, but have reverse. I plan to change the graphics on my 71 cowl to look like an earlier 60's 650, that more closely looks period w/ my 60 FireFlite.

BTW:

Welcome to the iBoats dry dock! Good luck w/ your project! And give us some pix. We're pix junkies! If you need help to get the 800 up & running, post 'em here. The mercury forum guys are an extremely helpful bunch! If you need to do any repair, restoration work to the boat, start a thread under the resto forum. They are extremely helpful too! Best of luck which ever way you go @ the 800.

Nightblade

Cadet

Thanks for all the info guys :) its been helpful

So far my girlfriend has had her family over to look at the boat, and her dad really likes it, which is good since he restores old cars/trucks and has a barn as a shop, and her brother works on motors. So at least we have knowledgeable help :)

Everyone really loves the looks of the motor, and the more I look at it the more I love it.

Heres a link to the eBay listing has a bunch of pics : LINK

Our plans are to use it mainly as a fishing boat and to bring our 3 dogs along. We really don't need speed, but I have no idea what size motor this boat should use?

Our plans are to strip everything out, and touch up the cracks in the fiberglass and repaint the entire boat replacing the orange with red.

Replace the decking and carpet. Whats the best to use for flooring besides Wolmanized/PTL Plywood?

Upholster/Replace all the seats.

Rebuild the steering console, hopefully I will be able to raise it up some as im 6'3 and I dont feel like bashing my knees on it

Install lighting, stereo and fishfinder/gps - I love electronic gadgets, and I'm in love with the Lowrance HDS series with the structure mapping, but im feeling im gonna blow my budget before I get to that.

Bow mounted Troller if i can.

Trailer is in good shape just need to install one bow roller and then im going to sandblast the entire trailer and repaint it or I was thinking maybe use that roll-on truck bedliner on it?!? Any thoughts?

LOL well as I'm typing this the 'Craigslist Bandit', AKA my girlfriend, has stuck again and just bought a running 40hp Evinrude for $175 so it looks like the Merc will be taking a backseat for awhile, but I'm really considering either getting it running again or putting the cowl on a newer model.

Is the black painted cowl that wraps the engine aluminum?

bgc

Ensign

Nice looking boat! Keep us posted on the progress in the "Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair"area.

merc850

Commander

If you are serious about running that motor buy this now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Out...601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc313d121.
I would drain the LU now and check for water, remove the spark plugs and spray some WD-40 into the holes, let it sit then turn the motor over by hand. If motor seems impossible to turn over remove LU then try again.
The black wraparound is made of stainless steel.
I have a 1960 700 and I ran it for 17 yrs. on a rough lake, it'll idle at 600 rpm and push a 16' boat at 40 mph.

Nightblade

Cadet

thanks for all the replies

picked up the 40hp Evinrude and its running, so the Merc will be on hold until the boat is done. The good news is the guy I bought the 40hp from, can repair outboards so Im going to have him take a look at the Merc and give it a good looking over to see where it stands

:)