outdrive

wesley856

Recruit
I have a 1990 mercuiser 5.7l with an alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive, i need to change the upper housing on the outdrive, my question is will any alpha 1 gen 1 upper work, i dont have to change gears or anything like that, just the housing because mine is cracked.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: outdrive

I have a 1990 mercuiser 5.7l with an alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive, i need to change the upper housing on the outdrive, my question is will any alpha 1 gen 1 upper work, i dont have to change gears or anything like that, just the housing because mine is cracked.

Have the MOD move this to the merc i/o sec. you will get a better response.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yes, any alpha one upper housing will work, gen II will not, however...

if you swap out the guts to a new housing you will have to shim the gears and reseal which requires special tools and an OEM manual

the manual is available for free download, others here have the link for it

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... You need an Alpha 1 upper with 1.50:1 gears in it....

There's more to swappin' yer existin' gears into another housing, than just Swappin' 'em........

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

A Sterndrive Engineering aftermarket complete upper unit would be a good option