Bravo 1 Transom Assembly Removal & Re-Installation

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi Folks:

Major boat maintenance underway . . .

I removed the engine from My Formula 242 last Fall to do some re-build work. While the engine was out, I discovered bulkhead and stringer rot . . . so here we go . . . :rolleyes:

I figured that while I got the engine out and I am dealing with stringers, etc., why not look at the transom ???

To do this, I figure that I should remove the transom assembly and check for rot. (It looks OK, but I would not want to gloss over anything, only to find it once I put the engine back in, etc.)

So, my question is:

I have the Mercruiser Service Manual #11 to go by, but I am wondering if there are any other things that I should know about removing the transom assembly and then re-installing it. :confused:

My concern is making sure it does not leak or anything like that once it is all back together. I did a bit of searching for past threads, put did not come up with much regarding the specifics of removal & installation.

engine & drive specifics are in my signature below; T.I.A. for any advice.:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 1 Transom Assembly Removal & Re-Installation

Get a new oring seal for the transom shield. Glue it into the transom shield, no sealant needed.

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the video links Frisco.

I did not see one where you are actually loosening the bolts for the transom assembly from inside the engine compartment, but that's OK. Your outdrive and transom assembly look brand new compared to mine . . . I have some good corrosion from previous owner neglect.

My fear factor is in loosening nuts from studs that have been comfortably there for 21 years, and in salt water seasonally. I figure that I can soak them for a week or so with PB Blaster and then hit them with a torch to expand them a bit before I apply the wrench. Of course if the Stud/bolt portion snaps or something then I've got a 'mell of a hess' to deal with.

There are also the hydraulics and the MerCathode wires to deal with during the removal. I assume I can just disconnect the hoses at the trim pump and I'll probably cut & re-terminate the wires with a connector.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just removed my 25+ year housing (I say 25+ years because I have no idea when it was last removed). I had problems with 1 bolt and 1 nut. PB Blaster, Gibbs, and many other penetrating fluids did not work. I had no choice but to torch the housing from outside th etransom. But I knew I was replacing the housing and didn't mind destroying it.

good luck!

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the video links Frisco.

I did not see one where you are actually loosening the bolts for the transom assembly from inside the engine compartment, but that's OK. Your outdrive and transom assembly look brand new compared to mine . . . I have some good corrosion from previous owner neglect.

My fear factor is in loosening nuts from studs that have been comfortably there for 21 years, and in salt water seasonally. I figure that I can soak them for a week or so with PB Blaster and then hit them with a torch to expand them a bit before I apply the wrench. Of course if the Stud/bolt portion snaps or something then I've got a 'mell of a hess' to deal with.

There are also the hydraulics and the MerCathode wires to deal with during the removal. I assume I can just disconnect the hoses at the trim pump and I'll probably cut & re-terminate the wires with a connector.

Ayuh,.... For the nuts, 'n studs,... Just hit 'em with a 3/4" socket on a 1/2" Impact....
Whether the nut comes off, or the stud comes out, or breaks, can be dealt with on the bench...

The Hyd.s go through the manifold, bolted to the housing straight up from below, outside the boat...
7/16", or 1/2", I forget...
Removin' 'em from the pump works too,...

The wires you can deal with anyway ya can,...
There's a terminal or connectors somewhere...