Ford Ecoboost for towing?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Ford Ecoboost for towing?

friend tows his boat &/or camper with it all the time, as well as almost daily towing for work... Loves it so far, he puts on some insane mileage also. (hundreds of miles a week) Apparently their towing characteristics are more like a diesel engine than anything else.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I frequent another forum about RVs and many of the folks overthere tow their travel trailers with the Ford Ecoboosts. About all of them seem extremely satisfied with the towing ability of their trucks.

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tow my 17' bass boat with a 2011 Eco-boost. Can't hardly tell it's back there. No problems at all when needing to make a quick pass on a 2 lane highway.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like mine. I tow a 23' bowrider, don't remember what it weighs with all the gear, fuel, and trailer. However, I too can't really tell it's there all that much. Especially compared to my older F150 with the 5.4. Accelerates great, and shifts are smooth while towing. And there's nothing like hearing the turbos really wind up when youre on the gas!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does ford want you to run 91 octane fuel in that v6? I used to have a Grand Prix GTP (factory supercharger) and they recommended 91 fuel. I do run 91 in my boosted Silverado currently. Just curious...

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Runs fine on 87 octane. Gets EPA estimated milage. Ford manual says for top performance, use premium, but those owners that have tried premium says no improvement gas milage.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gets EPA estimated milage.

But what kind of mileage can you get while pulling at 75mph? My truck gets epa mileage when out of boost :) ... but when towing, it will drop to about 10mpg.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

At 75 mph you'll spend more on exploding trailer tires than you will on gas. Just ask Lipp.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I'll let you know in about a month. I just picked up an EcoBoost. To cold outside to do anything with the boat yet. Luv the truck so far......