1980 johnson 85 h.p.

fernley tim

Cadet
will my steering and throttle controls for my 1993 johnson 70 h.p. work on a 1980 johnson 85 h.p.? I blew up my 70 h.p. and found a good deal on the 85 h.p. it has 130 pounds across all cylinders thanks for any info

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 johnson 85 h.p.

Yes. You won't be needing the oil tank from the 70. Both of those engines came with power trim and tilt as an option. Depending on which models you have will determine if your control box has a trim switch in the handle. If the 1980 has power trim, make sure you get the trim solenoid control box when you purchase the 85 hp engine. It mounts separately under the rear splashwell of the boat. That box is mounted inside the cowling on the 93. The two trim systems have differrent wiring. The 80 uses a 3 wire motor, the 93 a 2 wire. The trim control boxes are not interchangeable.

fernley tim

Cadet

Yes. You won't be needing the oil tank from the 70. Both of those engines came with power trim and tilt as an option. Depending on which models you have will determine if your control box has a trim switch in the handle. If the 1980 has power trim, make sure you get the trim solenoid control box when you purchase the 85 hp engine. It mounts separately under the rear splashwell of the boat. That box is mounted inside the cowling on the 93. The two trim systems have differrent wiring. The 80 uses a 3 wire motor, the 93 a 2 wire. The trim control boxes are not interchangeable.

Thanks, I removed the vro a couple of years ago on the 70 h.p. and yes both motors have tilt and trim I have a teleflex steering cable that I replaced a couple of years ago I was hoping to use? looks like a simple swap out? Thanks again for the info.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Any steering cable that will work on the 70 will work on the 85. Swapping out the steering cable is not difficult. In my experience the only hard part is that most of us ty-wrap all sorts of wires, speedo hoses, etc to the steering cable running down the starboard side of the boat. That adds to the degree of difficutly-having to unsnarl all that during the conversion.