88 spl putting out 16 volts at 2000 rpm. 2 high? im afraid of frying accesories

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,
93 88 spl is putting out 16+ volts starting at around 2000 rpm. Has been since purchase from PO last year. I figured guage was a little off but finally got around to putting good meter on bat while running at 2k.
should this be a concern? Is rectumfryer bad?
I just put new gps /sounder in and don't want to burn things up
Puts out 13 v at idle speeds just perfect

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88 spl putting out 16 volts at 2000 rpm. 2 high? im afraid of frying accesories

I would check your voltage regulator ground first to make sure you have a good connection. Poor connections play havoc on electrical components, especially in salt water. If your regulator is internal have the alternator bench tested at a rebuild shop.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 spl putting out 16 volts at 2000 rpm. 2 high? im afraid of frying accesories

The 88 models were marketed as a "low cost" engine for a few years. Basically a standard 90, but stripped of some options. They usually did not have a voltage regulator, power trim and VRO from the factory. (Power trim was an option.) These engines had a simple rectifier only. The higher voltages you see are normal with that charging system. Keep your eye on the water level in the battery throughout the season and you will be fine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to look into BRP part # 173640 voltage regulator kit. Or turn on other accessories on the boat to keep the voltage down.