Adding brakes to second axle on tandem trailer??

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, my boat trailer has surge disks on the rear axle and I'm considering adding the brakes to the front axle as well. The front axle has the bolt bracket already installed and ready to accept them. My question is how difficult of a job is it? Will I need to run the fluild lines from the actuator or is there some type of coupler or splitter that can be run from the existing lines that service the rear brakes?

Hopefully someone has done this before and can show me the path on this.

Thahks all.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Adding brakes to second axle on tandem trailer??

Bolt on the brakes, calipers, and disks. They should be from the same manufacture as the ones already on the trailer or you should replace all 4 at the same time.
Cut the hard line and add a spliter, you will need a "double flair" on the line to prevent leaks. You can rent a tool at your local parts store for this.
Keep the rubber lines as short possible, the same length as the others if you can.
Bleed the system and your done.

It begs the question,
Why???

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Some states require brakes on all axles is one reason, heavy boat another.
You don't have to cut brake lines, just get the tee fitting and add the second line to each side. Champion trailer sells them, NAPA etc.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I'm going from a 21' to a 24' and my 21' was heavy enough for my taste which was surge drum. This new one is surge disk, so I'm wanting to add the same setup to the front axle as well. Just want to help the truck some and want to error on the side of caution.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about the reversing solenoid valves? Do they come built into the brake assembly?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Sounds like you'll need a few extra things for your new system. The brake master needs to be for a disc system. Disc masters have an additional pressure relief in the end of the piston and should also have a threaded hole in the reservoir for the return hose from the relief solenoid. No the solenoid is not built in, it attaches in line directly behind the master. It gets wired to your reverse lights. Do a search here about reversing solenoids and you'll see some typical hookups and several discussions of how to wire it properly. Again Champion trailer is a good phone call to make, they can put together exactly what you need.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The trailer already has disks on there, but only on the rear axle and I'm wanting to add additional disks to front axle.