stuck receiver....

buckage

Seaman Apprentice
I have tried everything to remove a receiver from the back of my truck. Seems that a very little rust makes some pretty strong glue. I have grinded away any corrosion showing, loaded tons of penetrating oil, used a sledge hammer and even chained the ball to a tree and tried pulling it out with the truck.....thing won't budge. Any suggestions? is Heat next?

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: stuck receiver....

Are all the bolts out? Its hard to believe that rust alone is holding it on.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I guess it is a good thing that it won't slide out when I am pulling my 8000 pound boat if I forget the hitch pin, but it kills your chins when you forget it is there...think a muffler shop could get it off with a torch without ruining it?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I would keep hitting it up with penetrating oil once or twice a day for a week and then try the tree again, its going to take a lot of heat to break it loose

64osby

Admiral

I have had that issue before. PB Blaster, a torch and a sledge hammer worked for me. A royal pain.

After it is out you might want to grind it down gently, remove the rust and repaint. Also a little grease in the receiver can help.

Good luck.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Are all the bolts out? Its hard to believe that rust alone is holding it on.

Rust will hold it in place. I had one stuck when I purchased my '78 Suburban. I soaked it for a few days with Liquid Wrench ( before I learned how far superior KROIL is ) and tried jarring it loose with a 4 lb hand sledge. I even had the forktruck put tension on the hitch ( pulling with a chain ) while we beat it with a sledge hammer. I finally got it out by putting the suburban in neutral, standing on the brakes and had the 12,000 lb fork lift at work drag me around backwards in the parking lot.

I learned my lesson, I remove my hitch every other month now. Even if I just pull it out and put it right back in. :D

Good luck

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

After I had to heat & beat mine,[oxy-acetylene,10 lb sledge]I cleaned it all up with a wire wheel,and put grease on it to keep it loose.

NYBo

Admiral

It will be hard hammering the ball platform straight out, so maybe a few whacks toward the vehicle might break it loose.

but it kills your chins when you forget it is there...
Is this you?
Jay+Leno+chin+actually+a+temor.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Heat and beat. Worse case slide another tube over the existing piece and have 2 pins in there. Did that with our old Jimmy

Thalasso

Commander

it will be hard hammering the ball platform straight out, so maybe a few whacks toward the vehicle might break it loose.

Is this you?
jay+leno+chin+actually+a+temor.jpg

:d:d:d:d:d

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Put the pin back in it hook up to the boat and take it for a 10 mile drive , that will loosen it right up

UncleWillie

Captain

Put the pin back in it hook up to the boat and take it for a 10 mile drive , that will loosen it right up

+1 That usually works! ^^^

Chaining it to the tree does not tend to keep a good tension on it.
Chain does not stretch much!

I have used a 100 ft length of 3/8 or 1/2 nylon rope.
Go around the ball and the tree 2 or 3 times.
This will give you 4 or 6 length of rope from the ball to the tree.
Now pull forward and put a good stretch on the rope and then set the brakes and chock the wheels so it is not pulled backwards.
Tie another piece of rope around the 6 strands and tie the other end to the hitch with just a few inches of slack as a Safety Rope to catch the ball when it comes loose.
They usually do not Sling Shot very far, but better to be safe.
Do let anyone stand behind the hitch once the rope in under tension. :eek:

Hammer Up and Down, Left and Right.
Once you get it to move under tension it should be out a minute later.

This might sound like a funny home video in the making, but it really is not all that crazy! :D

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have tis problemb regularly. try not inly beating out, but hit the hitch from all angles to losten rust. have you tried hull cleaner or toilet cleaner to eat away the rust? (be carefull with using acids, aviod fumes and dont get it on anything like paint or chrome.)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

reminds me to go loosen mine.

I tied to a tree (at someone else's house--shhhh!) and cut through the bark--could have killed the tree.

Maybe trailering a big boat will loosen it but not a small boat.

I finally got it out beating and oiling (liquid wrench) It is hard to hammer away from the bumper. The key is lots of movement in all directions, including hitting it back in sometimes. Do NOT try this in the driveway if any females are napping inside.

Once loose, sand/grind both parts; repaint with rustoleum, let it dry! and then lots of white lithium grease.

Steady pressure won't do it; you have to beat on it. even when it's loose the rust particles are little wedges in there.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

In Pa there is a chance getting a ticket if left in the hitch. They passed a law about two years ago

I leave mine in as a reminders for the idiots not to tailgate.

Kroil, heard that was just ATF and acetone.

Different stuff, BUT a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone actually works better than KROIL but doesn't stay mixed. ( plus is more flammable)