Do my u-joint's need replaced?

snowake36

Cadet
I have a 2003 Volvo 3.0 GLM-B w/ a SX drive. I have noticed a clicking noise when the boat is in neutral, coming from the out-drive. It seems to be a little louder while in the water. As I leave the dock at the boat also vibrates really bad when I shift into drive at a idle speed, and that goes away as I accelerate or if at higher speeds I can usually get it to go away by trimming up or down. Another problem is when the boat is turned hard to either side (I am not sure if its the same or louder on either side) I get a loud grumble noise and lots of vibration. Also, while wake boarding or tubing if I accelerate while turning, the engine will rev up as if it is in neutral, when I throttle down and accelerate gradually it seems to "catch" or pick-up better. I'm assuming (hoping) it is my u-joint and/or gimbal bearing and nothing more serious.

Awhile ago I had a "boat mechanic" pull the engine because the bolt to the starter had broke off inside the motor (the only way to get to it and drill it out was to remove the engine). As it was out, I was told there was water in the u-joint bellow and he replaced the bellow and gimbal bearing. Well, after one season the same bolt snapped again, this time I fixed it myself and was able to get it without pulling the engine (No problems since!). I told you all that because I'm wondering, if he cant even fix a bolt from breaking, who knows what he did to my out-drive.

I have pulled my drive off and attached some pictures. It appears all the grease I have been pumping in the gimbal bearing as an attempt to eliminate the noises has been going into the housing instead, you can see all the grease around the gimbal. After cleaning all the grease up the gimbal spins perfect so Im not sure if that could be it. Also, I know its hard to tell and I cant judge without using the alignment tool but at first glance when I eye up the gimbal and crankshaft holes they look way off!! I will be getting the tool but shouldn't they be at least semi-lined up even when just eyeballing it? I plan to replace the gimbal bearing and bellows. I don't know what the u-joints should look like do mine need replaced or can whatever is on them be cleaned up??? Any help would be great.

Attachments

• Gimbal (covered in grease 2).jpg
    Gimbal (covered in grease 2).jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gimbal (covered in grease).jpg
    Gimbal (covered in grease).jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • Gimbal.jpg
    Gimbal.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • U-joint 1.jpg
    U-joint 1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • U-joint 2.jpg
    U-joint 2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do my u-joint's need replaced?

Sounds like you need ujoints to me. You should really be pulling the outdrive yearly and cleaning out the old grease. You also need to grease the coupler splines yearly, and checking the alignment. It's all part of the preventive maintenance.

tpenfield

Staff member

Is that a beer keg showing in the last picture? Do you keep it at your house? :cool:

snowake36

Cadet

Thanks Don, from the pictures do you think I need to replace the entire assembly (3860842)? Or can I just replace the u-joint spider (3850812)? Aslo, can this be cleaned up or is it best to just buy all new?

tpenfield, I have to have something to drink while I work on this thing. Thats my reserve

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you had water damage to the u-joint, pull out the yoke shaft and check for wear. Mine just started leaking about 6 months ago. My u-joint was saved but the yoke shaft was worn. I ended up having to replace the yoke to stop the leak. You can just buy the universal joints if the shafts are still in spec. I got a shop to weld/grind my shafts back to spec for under $100.