Need recommendation for shop to weld cracked block...

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone recommend a shop in central Oklahoma for having a cracked block repaired?

I am tearing down my '96 150 Oceanrunner, J150EXEDB, and need to have a crack evaluated and repaired if possible.

thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need recommendation for shop to weld cracked block...

Exactly where is it cracked at ? Could you post a pic ?

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

I will post a pic when I get home from work tonight.

This goes under the "pay me now or pay me later" file. I bought the boat 5 years ago cheap because, shortly after a rebuild, an "incident" resulted in the crack. I don't have exact details on what happened. The engine ran great, and still does. Compression is good. But I now have a solid knock coming from somewhere inside the powerhead. So now it's time to get the crack repaired and hopefully find out the source of the knock. And I'll get to learn how to build a 2-stroke. I'll start a new thread when I get into the tear-down.

I sure hope I can save the block. Pics to follow...

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

Here's the pic.
Starboard side, #1 cyl. on the left, carbs on the right, crack in between. That's someone's early attempt at JB Weld, which is also cracked. The crack goes up over the top and disappears under the flywheel. The flywheel cover is cracked too. Must have been a heck of a bang. I suspect that the crack may go all the way to the crankshaft.

2012.mar01.boat.motor.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

jmo, but id be looking for another block.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That block and yr did have probs with water getting into # 1 cyl. The only thing you can do is tear it down and see how bad it is.