1708 & epoxy

Hello, Is 1708 cloth compatible with epoxy? It looks like 1708 is the go to cloth, and some people say that you can use it with epoxy and I heard that it is not good to use it with epoxy. I'm reading all the resto threads on the net and with all the info out there my mind is on information over load. Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1708 & epoxy

Nope, not used with epoxy. 1708 is a combination of 17oz biaxial cloth and 8oz of Chopped Strand Mat stitched to the back of the cloth. Kinda a "One Stop Shopping" for Polyester Resin Glassers. When using Polyester resin, mat is used to the initial bond and the styrene in the resin breaks down the fibers in the mat and makes the mat and the liquid one unified mixture during the chemical process. The Biaxial Cloth is extremely strong due to its weaving pattern. Epoxy does not have styrene and thus cannot and will not break down the fibers in the mat but the matt will soak up the epoxy thus causing you to use more resin to wet out the material. It can actually cause the bond to be weaker than just using 170z cloth by itself. Many people prefer to use multiple layers of lighter cloth when using epoxy to get thickness and strength. Short story Long 1708 is not used with Epoxy!!!;)

Although kinda a "Heated" discussion, I think it's one of the BEST and most informative on this forum about this topic.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286584&page=1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They Make CSM that is compatable with Epoxy but... In most of the experts opinions it is not needed and is a waste of money and epoxy. Take a look at my first post. I added an old link to a very good thread on the topic. You will learn a LOT!!!

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

MC,

I have done everything with this:

DB170 - 17oz Biaxial - NO MAT

from USComposites. Also used the 635 3:1 resin - 13.3 gals @ $518.

I tried other woven material but struggled. With this combo my 7 yr old son can glass just as well as I can - really!!! He has the resin soaked pants to prove it! You should see his pants try to make it through wash cycle...