What's it worth NADA is way too low in my opinion

buckage

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '91 Evinreude 225 long shaft SS Prop. RUns perfect and will get my 24for Deep v to about 44mph. I just bought Twin 150's to replace it. I would be selling it with all of the controls, gauges, key switches and harness. NADA says $850 bucks. With the costs of new ones these days, pretty sure I could get more than that. New lowerend service and new impeller and new plugs. Starts first turn. Only replacing it cause I got a great deal on the twins and they will give me piece of mind when I am 35 miles offshore. In no hurry to sell and don't need the money. I was thinking around $2200 as a non negotiable low end. Thoughts?

BTW, since I rebuilt the boat, it's only gotten wet one time. Brand new Shift Controls and cables since the rebuild of the boat. Motor has 289 hours as of today.

Here's what is on it, and what is going on it....if the tranny is strong enough.

ocean runners.jpgDSCF0704.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: What's it worth NADA is way too low in my opinion

Dude I have a 1967 mercury 65hp that I could easily sell for $700. I would be superstoked to buy that motor for $2200 if it is in as good condition as you say. I bet those twin 150's HAULLLLLLLLL!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

So yea I dont go with NADA prices on outboards, unless I am the buyer. :) No but in all seriousness, I had a 1970 Evinrude 9.5hp and Nada value for it was $30. I sold it for ten times that much.....

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's worth only what a buyer will pay. BTW, it's a terrible market for bigger motors and most boats. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NADA pays no attention to market activity. They use a depreciation chart that assumes an outboard wears out and becomes junk at the same rate that cars do. No, cars did. Modern cars outlast cars of the past by two to four times.

Well cared for outboards outlast even the new cars.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Well added some pics...we will see what happens. I don't need any of the controls or other fixins and the new runners, the guy threw all of those in with the twins. Biggest issue I will have is getting that 453lb monster off of the boat...

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

I have a mid eighties 150xp that is on a 19ft checkmate. It was a friends boat that we used when we were kids. We did everything but sink it. It sat for a few years before it was given to me. I did the carbs and last summer my son and his friends wake boarded with it. It is a testament to how evinrude used to make engines. That 225 is worth the 2200 you are asking.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JS....for this "project" as my wife calls it, I hope the juice is worth the squeeze...

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

"Note: Outboard Motors in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown."

The NADA values on outboards are basically a cop out. The disclaimer statement above is what they really mean. You have to put your hands and eyes on an outboard to know what the value is, especially a salt water motor, so market forces are the only way to figure a price on used boats/motors. My Cape Horn is a hot commodity here on the Gulf Coast in the summer but I probably couldn't give it away in Kansas.

jbjennings

Captain

Since it is a saltwater engine that is over 20 years old, I'd say the $850 MIGHT be close to reasonable. However, I'll bet you can get more for it and if it were mine, I wouldn't sell it for $850 either. No doubt NADA stinks on used stuff in general that's more than 5 years old. Good luck getting what it's worth to you. If it were a freshwater engine, I'd say it would be worth around $2000 too.
JBJ

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The insurance industry must pay NADA, to post such rediculous prices.....market value is the value of a motor....it differs depending on where you are, but never is it anywhere close to NADA posted values!

bob

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like most have stated it is what some one is willing to pay, IMHO it will depend on how long you have owned her, how well you have maintained her, and people's willingness to believe you, I would be skeptical on any used engine, not sure what part of the country you in but here in florida west coast given the economy and the gas cunsumption ratio, I personally would expect to pay around 1200-1400, she is 21 years old and most likely will need some major work in the near future, it never hurts to ask 2200, but she may be sitting around for awhile! @ some point someone some where will blow an engine and need a quick repower and oh look you have one 2200 bucks! sold! best of luck on the twins can't agree with ya more on the piece of mind factor!!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think your asking price is fair.

tpenfield

Staff member

NADA is a guide, not a law. As stated, it is not based on actualy sales data, but on depreciation value schedules and such.

I use it often in checking the sanity of asking prices.

NADA gives 'Average retail' and 'Low retail', it does not give a 'high' retail. If your item (boat, engine, etc) is in better than avarage condition, based on upkeep, use, etc. then you could expect to get more than the average retail stated in NADA.

If you are a seller NADA tends to be viewed as low. If you are a buyer, you do not want to pay more than NADA average retail.

What someone is willing to pay is the ultimate word on value. So, if you put your engine out there for $2200 and somebody buys it, that's your value. If nobody shows up, then you know your value is lower that . . .

You can always use BUCnet as an alternative reference, and in my experience, I find that BUCnet comes in a bit higher than NADA and also gives 'high', 'average' and 'low' numbers.

nwcove

Admiral

i have never heard of NADA as a source for pricing used anything, but the term "nada" is used in my neck of the woods as a term for " nothing". ie...." did you catch any fish today? nada..not even a bite!" wonder if that is where we use " nada" as a reference to nothing, came from?:confused: does seem like NADA is WAY to low on the price of the motor.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Nada means "nothing" in Spanish, so treat it accordingly.

64osby

Admiral

I just sold a 1970's Evinrude 135 with PT&T for over $1,000. They drove 2 hours to get it. I think your firm price is pretty good.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your phone rings off the hook, you're priced too low. If it doesn't ring at all, well, you know ... :cool:

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Location, location, location.... Nada values are a joke IMO. Motors nada values at $150 bucks go for 10 times that much around here. That being said, a 225 around here would have a small market to the general populous. Where you live has a lot to do with supply and demand. I see 25-30 year old 9.9's going for $700-$900 all the time here. Matter of fact I just saw a 2001 9.9 johnson near here on CL going for $1900 which is ridiculous! The market around here is small and mid range motors and anything over 90hp you will be taking a hit on or holding a long time. So location plays a huge part in what your outboard is worth.

$2200 sounds reasonable IMO though. Its a rude and I am partial to J/E so I would ask $2500 and let them work me to 2200

BonairII

Commander

If your phone rings off the hook, you're priced too low. If it doesn't ring at all, well, you know ... :cool:

Well said^^^^^^.

If you're not in a hurry to unload that motor, price it a bit high at first. If no takers, then lower it periodically until it sells.

I'm assuming that you take good care of your motors....buyers will pay a premium for a reliable motor IMO.