Video of my Merc 25XD, How does it sound?

Base.v5

Cadet
Finally got my motor running after cleaning out the carb several times and fighting with some seals I had put in wrong. To get it to idle on it's own, I had to adjust the idle control valve to about 2 1/8 turns from seated. This is much higher than most of the suggestions I've seen of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns from seated. Does this indicate any problems?

Anyway, on with the video. Here I run the motor for about 45sec. Can you tell if it sounds OK or if there are more issues I need to look into. I can't really tell with my limited experience with boat motors. Any suggestions are welcome.

http://youtu.be/JD60H2kECp4

Thanks!

Base.v5

Cadet
Re: Video of my Merc 25XD, How does it sound?

It's running a bit rough, but some engines do that. Does it sound like it's missing?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That sounds like it is only running one cylinder.

Base.v5

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Should I start with a spark test to see if this is the case?

spark test or pull 1 wire at a time and see if it changes. if no change in sound when spark wire is pulled, you know thats your dead cylinder. if you do have a no-spark/dead cylinder take note of which one then swap the coils over. if the dead cylinder changes then you probably have a bad coil. if the dead cylinder stays on the same cylinder then it could be your switch box or pick-ups under the flywheel. i'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along, but this should give you something to do for a bit.

Base.v5

Cadet

Excellent explaination of how to narrow down the issue. I will work through this process on Sunday (going out of town) and report back with my findings.

Thanks pointandshoot!

Base.v5

Cadet

Finally got some good weather and time to work on the motor, here is what I found.

Spark test on plugs showed no spark on top cylinder.
Switched plugs, no change, top cylinder no spark.
Switched coils, no change, still no spark on top cylinder.
Switched spark plug leads, no change, top still dead.

So, where should I check from here? Is there any test I can do on the switch box or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?