Front seat battery install?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am installing a 24v bow mounted trolling motor & would like to house the batteries under the front seat. What all needs to be done as far as venting the batteries? Can I just set them on a battery tray instead of in battery boxes (because of the limited space....both height & width)?? Thanks

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Front seat battery install?

68 views & no feedback? Geez, I guess I am the only one out there that has a trolling motor on their toon???

The Rooster

Ensign

68 views & no feedback? Geez, I guess I am the only one out there that has a trolling motor on their toon???

Sorry, "lazy77", I don't have any experience w/ that, but plenty of others do. Patience, Patience !!! Have you tried a thread search at the top. this has been discussed before. Good luck !!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You're venting problem can be solved by running sealed batteries like the Optima's. The tray and the box take up about the same amount of space if they're sized right just make sure you use the rubber boots over the connections. You can buy a really simple battery strap that will hold it down adequately. Some say they take a beating when they're up front but I've never had a problem.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan on installing my trolling motor battery near the motor in a battery box

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The batteries should be on a tray as a minimum and you can buy very nice looking grills that you can add to the seat base for venting. However, that's not even necessary if you raise the cushion when charging the batteries. And no -- you are not the only person on the forum with a troller on a pontoon.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Silvertip, that is exactly what I was wanting to know!! Your help is greatly appreciated.