Need advise on bending my own hand rails

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm planning to replace the side hand rails on my Chieftain since the old ones are beyond restoring. I have all the SS fittings and 7/8 stainless tube and all I need to do is bend the tubes. 2 local companies graciously offered to make these bends (4 total) for a wopping $300! I have some back ground in metal fab but not with bending tubing. I understand you have to use the correct dies and so forth but being a diy type I can't bring myself to throw down that kind of coin for something that doesn't seem too difficult. The plan is to build some sort of wooden frame to bend them myself but I would like some pointers like - do I fill them with sand first? The bends aren't that sharp and I have a few ideas already but any input would be helpful. Some will probably want to say pay up if you want it done right and I know that's true, but we all have to overcome different problems here and throwing money at it isn't always the only answer.

In the pic the rails go from the gunwale to the side of the cuddy and are about 5' long.

Attachments

• DSCF2052.jpg
    DSCF2052.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need advise on bending my own hand rails

If you know an electrician that is good at installing steel conduit, he might be able to do it for cheap . They have a special bending device for the different sizes of conduit. If you get someone who knows how to use it, they can do some beautiful work. Just a thought....

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OH CRAP..I had an electrician at the house last night and didn't think of that. Protecting the polished finish would be a challenge.
Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral

Harbor Freight sells some cheaper conduit benders that might work....fill it with sand, wrap it with duct tape to protect the finish, maybe that will work and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!....Good Luck!:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the idea of forming it over a template. I could scallop the outer profile to fit the tube and have a lever to pull it around all made of wood so it shouldn't marr the surface.. The lever could be hinged by a series of holes around the perimeter. Something like this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZoEd8iNjk&feature=related

Likely fill with a rope or sand.
Thanks gents. I'll try it and get back with the results.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You really dont have to worry to much about scratches in SS You can sand and buff it real easy. Aluminum can also be done but it must be sealed to remain good looking.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

if you have a welder get some scrap steel and make a jig.
on a flat piece of steel, weld a pipe doun the size of bend you want to make - at the other end weld doun a stop.
put a bar on the and of pipe to be fabed and bend away...
scrap steel can be found at the crusher (scrap yard) and cheap too, you will pay by wieght.
hope this makes sence to you.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

10-4 I'm determined to do this for free so I'll try it with wood that I have. Thanks!

if you have a welder get some scrap steel and make a jig.
on a flat piece of steel, weld a pipe doun the size of bend you want to make - at the other end weld doun a stop.
put a bar on the and of pipe to be fabed and bend away...
scrap steel can be found at the crusher (scrap yard) and cheap too, you will pay by wieght.
hope this makes sence to you.