u-joint bellows and gimbal bearings

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to have my u-joint bellows changed on my alpha 1 gen 2 outdrives. Does it make sense to change the gimbal bearings at that time? How much extra labor time is involved once the bellows have been removed? The actual gimbal bearing cost is minimal. The last time I had this done on my former boat the labor charge was not cheap.
Thanks

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: u-joint bellows and gimbal bearings

If properly maintanied, the bearings should last years and years. They could just check and grease them. You can wait until later to change the bearings. They are pretty easy to change even with the bellows in place. .. just gotta pull the drive. I would think a shop with the right tools would only charge and additional 2 hours or so... that would be r & r of bearing and an alignment check. Just a guess though.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Once the drive is removed it's only a 10-15 minute job to replace the bearing and check the alignment

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

10 minutes of labor and a 50 dollar part seems like a good preventative investment on a 10 year old boat.
Thanks.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would be curious to see what the shop will charge to r & r the gimbal bearing. 10 mins is pretty quick. I doubt they would only charge 10 mins of labor. Let us know how it goes ...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

10 minutes of labor and a 50 dollar part seems like a good preventative investment on a 10 year old boat.
Thanks.

If there is not a good reason to replace the gimbal bearing, don't. The one in my previous engine is now 18 years old and still in perfect condition. Never had water in the bellows (or high enough in the bilge) and been greased annually.

If it's the dealer trying to sell you a part you don't need, find a new dealer!

Chris.....

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I found the price to have a "dealer" replace the gimbal bearing and u-joint bellows downright scary! I was quoted $1,200! They and any others can kiss my royal azz if they think that their labor is worth that much gold. I guess the wealthy folks that refuse to get their hands dirty around here keep these yahoos in business.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

The video was great. I paid $1000 to replace the gimbal bearing and bellows on my last boat. Unfortuantely, I don't have the tools and probably lack the skills or confidence to do the job myself. If the gimbal bearings look OK, I will leave them but I think I have no choice to have the bellows replaced on a 10 year old boat kept in salt water 8 months per year. I bought this boat at a good price anticpating this service.

achris

... I paid $1000 to replace the gimbal bearing and bellows on my last boat. ...

You...have....to....be....joking!!!!!

Bellows - $88, gimbal bearing (there is only one) - $72.... gasket set - $30. That puts the guys labour at $810. It took me about 3 hours to do the last one I did (about 4 years ago!), that was from the very start of the job (removing the leg) to the very end of the job (running the engine on the flushers). At that rate he's charging $270 per hour. DO I HEAR THE WORDS 'RIP OFF ARTIST!!!'?...

I charged my friend $300 (including the parts, and we pay WAAAY more than that for those parts here), and felt a little guilty about charging so much!!!

Chris.......

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

Bellows - $88, gimbal bearing (there is only one) - $72.... gasket set - $30. That puts the guys labour at $810. It took me about 3 hours to do the last one I did (about 4 years ago!), that was from the very start of the job (removing the leg) to the very end of the job (running the engine on the flushers). At that rate he's charging $270 per hour. DO I HEAR THE WORDS 'RIP OFF ARTIST!!!'?...

I charged my friend $300 (including the parts, and we pay WAAAY more than that for those parts here), and felt a little guilty about charging so much!!!

Chris.......

x2 on the ripp off

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like it may be cheaper if I ship my boat down to you in Australia! My mechanic gets $120 per hour. If it is only a 3 hr job, it sounds like I really got ripped off. I am going to sit next to him with my stop watch on this time. Thanks for the heads up.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Merc bellows are a little more than $88 for the set, aren't they? I checked end of last year around here... a bellows job was $500.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That puts the guys labour at $810.

That was precisely what I was going to follow with...

When I told the stealer that I would prefer to supply my own parts and just pay him labor to install them; he said that would be fine...to the tune of $800. Of course my response was, "OK, thank you and have a nice day!" :rolleyes:

achris

The Merc bellows are a little more than $88 for the set, aren't they? I checked end of last year around here... a bellows job was $500.

Uni bellows, part # -816431A1. From www.mercruiserparts.com $87 and change... If you want the shift bellows done at the same time, add about 30 minutes and $30 for the part.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I was quoted around $1200 for a bellow and bearing Job last year. I think they are using a computer system like the car dealers do. Punch in the job and it tells you how long and it would take worst case. I was quoted it was a 8 hour job, after I heard keys clicking on the computer over the phone. Called 3 more shops and basically got same price. Apparently no one around here does time and material any more. But the thing is you get charged 8 hours and it takes 3 you will never know. I'll correct my self, we stopped at a marina in Maryland last year and there was a sign on the dock and said in big letters ALL IN WATER REPAIRS $120.00. PER HOUR MINIMUM 2 HOURS NO EXCEPTIONS. Heck even my local local lawn and garden shop charges $100 per hour now to work on lawnmowers. Heck it's cheaper to buy a new mower every year than have PM done if you can't do it yourself.
Denny

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

For a 170 Sea Ray, I had the bellows, changed, new drive shaft, transmission overhauled and gimbal bearing replace and the total cost was $1500.00 in Orange Park, Fl. (Jun 2011)