V4 crossflow questions on Coil wires, head covers and Gasket compound

rothfm

Ensign
Hi All, Couple quests on my motors

1)Been working on a 1995 88Spl and a 1984 115. I have the Heads off, is it worth taking the head "covers" off for new gaskets. They look fine and still all painted over, the cooling holes look clear. Didnt want to seperate them if not really needed? Also what Head gasket compound is recommended to use?

2)Coil wires? The ends that go on the coils are corroded. They look hard-wired direct to the PowerPack. I suppose I cant just replace them without doing a Pack? I'd normally pull the boot back, but it doesnt slide up the cable at all. Do I have to replace the whole thing to get good Coil connectors?

3)Spark Plug wires...I see the fitted oem style ones, but is it doable to use short auto types or stick with the OEM type?

Getting most of my parts here on Iboats.

Thanks for any input.

edfishing2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: V4 crossflow questions on Coil wires, head covers and Gasket compound

1. On my 1984 100 hp the covers were a bear. I broke a few of those screws off and wished I have never took them off.
2. The coils have a black wire that just goes to ground and the orange wire has a amphenol pin crimped onto the end and this pin is installed into a black rubber amphenol connector. Again I am talking about 1984. Perhaps you could post a photo of the corrosion area.
3. I would stick with OEM ones they have a very good spring type keeper that just pushes into the wire and then you push (with effort) the spring into the boot. I wish I could buy the Prestolite wire by the foot from someone.