small hole in boat

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a hole about the size of a dime on the bottom of my fiberglass boat. Can anyone tell me the easiest and best way to fix this. Thank everyone in advance

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: small hole in boat

Yep, Use a RO sander with 60 grit and sand the area around the hole so you have and area about 3" in diameter. Try and feather it in towards to hole so the edges of the hole are almost a razors edge thin. Cut some 1.5 oz CSM about 1/2" larger than the hole and then another piece 1" larger than the first. The cut a piece of 1708 Biaxial 1 " larger than the last piece of Csm and finally one more piece of CSM 1" larger than the 1708. Mix up some Polyester resin and Hardener, wet out the smallest patch first and apply it over the hole and then apply all the rest in succession. Take care to not get any air bubbles under any of the patches. Use an old "Chip Brush" to do the work an smooth it all out. 30 minutes it will be ready to Sand. You can use some 3M premium marine filler to fill in any low spots or irregularites and then use a gelcoat paste to coat it a blend in the color or Paint it .

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe an easy, low-tech fix for such a small hole would be to force some 3M 5200 up into the hole, cover with a piece of duck tape to prevent it sagging out until it dries, sand it down, polish...good to go! Being on the bottom of the hull, who's gonna see it? Good Luck!:)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I tend to go with Woody on this one.....for a screw hole the 5200 may be okay, but he said the size of a dime....I'd be leary of 5200 that big on the bottom of my hull....

CW

johnnyClack

Seaman Apprentice

:facepalm: Can someone tell me what CMS repersents, Thanks

sturdavj