pontoon carpeting

SoArkSi

Cadet
Ok, I just ordered my new seats for my toon. My friends insist I go ahead and put in new carpet while I'm at that point. Where have people found the best deals on new carpet? I dont want super cheap or super $$$$$ just somthing that a good quality with a decent price. Any one have any references and carpet weight and if it was good enough or if you would of went with a nicer one if you had a second chance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: pontoon carpeting

Carpet for a boat is no different than carpet for your home. If you want it too look faded, worn and shabby in a couple of years go cheap. If you want it comfortable underfoot, looking like quality, and something that will hold up for a long time with reasonable care, heavier carpet and a better grade along with the typical higher price is the way to go. You are putting new furniture on the boat so there is no better time to install new carpet before the furniture si installed. The internet is your friend when buying marine carpet. Let your fingers do the walking. Quality carpet comes from well known carpet mills, most of which are in the southern states.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I rebuilt my tritoon in 2008 and put the medium grade carpet from www.pontoonstuff.com I fish alot, now I wish I had put down vinyl. Just my $0.02

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rebuilt my tritoon in 2008 and put the medium grade carpet from www.pontoonstuff.com I fish alot, now I wish I had put down vinyl. Just my $0.02

I would think that the vinyl would get very slippery when it gets wet. I would want a good grade carpet if I was doing it.
Jack

rogerwa

Commander

I am going to redo my pontoon with the Vinyl. I requested a sample and this stuff has a good texture and is pretty stout stuff. For some of the comfort areas, I plan on creating some snap in carpet sections.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Many of the new toons come with vinyl instead of carpet.

Lawnmedic

Seaman

We ordered our new Bennington with vinyl flooring with snap in carpet. We had 3 labs and wanted the vinyl for ease of clean up. But, was worried about the dogs slipping on the vinyl with wet paws. It has not been an issue, plenty of traction and it stays cool.
As far as new carpeting I would check out the online places. Remember most newer pontoons are 8'6" wide....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Check your local larger carpet stores if they handle boat carpet. We have a local carpet operation that carries all colors in stock at fair prices. I found out about our local carpet store when I drove over to Dalton GA to buy boat carpet from a big w-holesaler. It was a waste of gas, as my local guy sells the stuff cheap.

Just make sure you use the correct carpet adhesive, and use a heavy steel roller to get the glue to stick properly. It has to be rolled.

frfly172

Seaman

Anyone tried a snap in carpet over the factory insttalled carpet to preserve the factory installed carpet?