Questions about my motor

codymeggs

Cadet
I have a 1983 Johnson 90 hp model number j90tlcte and I don't know the fuel mixture or anything about it on the web where can I find out stuff like that and oil I need for the motor?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions about my motor

The 50/1 mixture is one (1) pint of a good quality 50/1 oil mixed with six (6) gallons of gasoline. A 87 octane gasoline will be fine.

Spark plugs should be CHampion QL77JC4 plugs gapped at the original recommended setting of .040 or the revised setting that was recommended later on in the late 1990s. Try both setings as one or the other may provide better performance either at idle or the higher rpms (it varies).

Gear lube must be what is called Hi Vis. THis is available at your dealership of course but also at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, many other stores at a lower price. Just make sure it states "Hi Vis".

When changing or topping of the gear lube, always fill from the bottom drain/fill screw hole until the lube flows out the upper oil lever screw hole. The drain screw is located in the extreme lower portion of the lower unit (the skeg). It is a large screw with a regular screwdriver slot.... the oil lever screw is identical, just higher up the lower unit.