painting with cold tempuratures

Keithwpg

Seaman
hey guys. i have to paint the some stuff on my boat that i would like to complete before i start restoring (boat is completely gutted). problem is its getting warmer but still around 0F at night and no warmer than 30F most days. I can get my garage warm enough to paint (lets say about 68F) but cannot hold it much longer without keeping the propane heater on (which is not an option overnight)

question is how long would be adequate enough time to keep the temp up to 68F after painting before i can essentially let it freeze?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: painting with cold tempuratures

That could be tricky and risky. I would experiment with some "sample" pieces before doing anything permanent. Paint some similar materials with paint you're going to use and let them set in the boat while using your heater like you need to. If something messes up it won't be on your boat.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Depends a lot on the paint you are using.

SOME enamels can be applied in relatively low temps, even down to 40-50 degrees, but they will have VERY long drying times and may not harden properly.

Most paints require minimum temps more like 60, AND they require that the temp be maintained until the paint is dry- Probably 8-12 hours, depending on the paint.

Sounds like you better wait a while if you can't keep the heat on... Be VERY careful, too- Propane heaters and fumes don't play well... Some thinners and cleaners might be bad news, depending on the type of heater you are using.

Keithwpg

Seaman

i'm just using spray cans from an auto body supply store i know of. its a tough situation because i would love to get this painted so its done and i dont have to mask everything off later. i might experiment with some tarps around the boat and see how well i can keep the heat in with some radiant electric radiant heaters kinda like you do for concrete in the winter. the propane heater is good to 80 000 btu, i only use that to get the whole garage warm then i shut it down because it eats all the oxygen in the garage which is... well bad lol

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

do it early in the day on a weekend and stay up late..... go out and fire up the heater every hour or so till the paint is dry...... If you can add electric heat you may be able to stretch the time.... done deal.... btw warmer will dry faster..... the dash on my CC is drying as I type this.
btw.... haven't seen a flying insect in months but wouldn't ya know that 15 minutes after spraying I noticed an inch of tiny footprints leading to a tiny fly right on the middle of my dash.... UGH he won't like my sander tomorrow!