tricks for an easy start

BFSGREG

Seaman Apprentice
does anybody have any suggestions or tricks for easy start up of 15hp evinrude with non vented fuel system.....
It seems to take a while to get mine running and I don,t want to wear out pull stator on engine.....
usually takes several pulls for cold start........
thank you

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: tricks for an easy start

What is the model number / year of your outboard?

kbait

Commander

Your tank is indeed vented. It has a one-way valve in the cap that will let air in, but not out. Make sure your spark plugs are gapped to .030", and the choke butterfly is closing as it should. Mine starts in 2-3 pulls w/choke cold if I didn't drain the fuel bowl last time out, and is considered normal.

AlTn

Commander

champion QL77JC4 plugs..primer bulb pumped till firm...tiller handle throttle grip advanced as far as possible when gear selector is in neutral...ditto for Kbaits response

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your fuel tank is the OMC metal one, it has a built in vent in the cap. If it is the newer plastic tanks, you need to unscrew the vent.

These motors manmy times need the throttle advanced a tad bit more than the indicator marks show, they will start if advanced a bit, but really hesitate if retarded to slow.

jamesgduratech

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the exact same motor. Try pulling the start cord really hard and while you hear it cranking, quicky give it a little gas and rev it a little.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I always pull mine slowly ('81 Johnson 9.9)with the throttle open a bit, one or two times and that seems to get fuel into the cylinder. Then I give it the ol' heave ho start-up pull, and it starts 1st time.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

My 25hp Johnson was a bear to start but ran fine once it started. After years of taking about 10 pulls to start when cold I decided to rebuild the carb even though the motor ran fine. After the rebuild the motor would start after one or two pulls.

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my 50 will start on the first pull (i had the starter off yesterday and tried it). manual choke out, bulb tight, throttle up, 1 yank