Force outboard reliability

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, having been around outboards most of my life, and hearing the many comments of "don't buy a force, I mean Farce" I shall now ask the question why???

I have had Mercs., Honda's and Nissans and considered the Mercs. a pile, so where does that put Force?
I recently bought a 18' Larson with a 45 hp. Merc. (price was right) that runs fine, but it is under powered for the boat and I would like to upgrade to a 70 to 90hp engine. As you know, Honda's, Yammy's, and Mercs, are pricy. Seems to be lot of used Force's at a decent price but I am a little shy because of their reputation around the marina's.

Any and all comments would be appreciated, are some years better than others....?? Or are they all good or bad!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force outboard reliability

Have you ever heard the phrase: FORD Fix Or Repair Daily or FORD Found On Road Dead? Same story. There is always someone with apparent authority but no real knowledge who disses them and the sheep follow because it sounds good.

Look at the repair forums for Mercs and OMCs. Granted, there are a lot more of them so you would expect more problems. However, if you actually wanted to check the ratios, I would bet that the same amount of problems per 1000 engines manufactured are reported in all repair forums.

Again, granted it is slightly more difficult to get parts for Force engines but they are available. And granted many dealers and repair shops refuse to work on them. SO: unless you plan to do maintenance and repairs yourself a Force engine is not for you. And like any other outboard, some will outlive the owner with no problems while others are fussy.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any Force outboard is old enough to have been ruined by abuse and neglect. On the other hand, a lovingly maintained Force is probably as good as new; so reliability is a function of history.

Forces are simple technology and easy for shadetree guys to maintain if they have the patience to hunt down any needed parts.

If you don't want to maintain it yourself or haven't the patience to find parts a Force is not for you. A brand serviced by a nearby, reputable dealer will make you much happier.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They are a bit harder on gas.
Most places won't work on them.
If you've had a bunch of outboards then you know you must work on them or it's gonna cost lots of $$$
I've found if you keep the lower units oil changed.
Waterpumps at least every 2 years.
Flush after EVERY use.
They will last a long time.
Mine are 24 this year.J

RRitt

Captain

if you get a force by mercury then keep an eye on your reed valves.
if you get a force by force, usmarine, or chrysler then it is a metal reed and you don't need to be concerned.
the force sneezes a lot when cold and it cracks composite reeds.
cracked reeds can run lean and burn out powerheads.

if you get an early 90's force (or mercury) by mercury then stators are a troublespot.
There was some type of design flaw in all merc stators of that era.

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys, think I will run the Merc. 45hp till I find a good used Yammy..

stormmn

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I'd buy the Force.The 45's are great little motors.'Lots of parts available.J

RRitt

Captain

I'd buy the Force.The 45's are great little motors.'Lots of parts available.J

Me too. I think the '83-'90 Chrysler Force is the best outboard ever made. By the same token I think canned goods and a manual can opener are one of the most beautifully engineered things ever created.

bigriver79

Seaman

I think Frank is dead on. If you are not prepared to work on your motor, i would not recomend one. I had a 40 hp Force and it was good little motor but required alot of attention. I sold it only because my boat was underpowered. But... Shops usually won't work on them, at least they wouldn't around my neck of the woods.

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have 2 Force, Johnson and a Merc. Honestly they all require the same maintance and they all run smooth. (Except the merc., I just bought it and have not ran it yet). Each engine has its own weak point. As far as parts go old engines in general have some difficulty in finding replacement parts.

I would absolutley buy another one without hesitating.

bigriver79

Seaman

Let me throw this in regarding my previous post. As far as reliabilty, my Force never left me stranded.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1985 Force. 85 HP. Best outboard I've ever had so far. Old school, very easy to work on. Basic. I like that.
I've had no problems at all with the motor. Started for me EVERY TIME. Never left me stranded and I'm on the water a LOT. That engine probably averages more than 10 hours a week running.
I've had it for almost 5 years now and I've done very little to it until the last month or two. I had a charging issue that was a bit of a problem to figure out but with the help of the fine people on here, I got it taken care of.
I'd wouldn't hesitate to buy another Force if it passes my initial inspection.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

Iv'e had mine for three yrs. and no problems, had the lower unit oil changed and new plugs, good to go.